Need your opinion

KMB1975

Registered Users (C)
Presntly I am a postdoc in USA from 1.5 years. I have received my PhD in Europe, 2006.

I am planning to apply EB1a with the following criteria in next month. I need your opinion whether I can claim these criteria or not??

Evidence of the alien's authorship of scholarly articles in the field, in professional or major trade publications or other major media.

45 papers in peer-review journals (most of the articles from 2007, 11 first/Co first authored)
41 abstracts in national/international meetings
Around 120 citations

Evidence of the alien's participation, either individually or on a panel, as a judge of the work of others in the same or an allied field of specification for which classification is sought
Reviewer for around 12 journas and reviewed 20 articles
Editor for atleast 3 journals
Invitation from at least 3 journals to submit my manuscripts

Evidence of the alien's original scientific, scholarly, artistic, athletic, or business-related contributions of major significance in the field
I will get at least 9 recommendation letters from different places in USA (I have never been worked with them)
I will also describe about my work here

Documentation of the alien's membership in associations in the field for which classification is sought, which require outstanding achievements of their members, as judged by recognized national or international experts in their disciplines or fields
I have the memberships in AHA, ASPET, APS and AAPS and sigma XI. These societies requires the atleast 2-10 publications, PhD degree and at least two nominations.

Published material about the alien in professional or major trade publications or other major media, relating to the alien's work in the field for which classification is sought. Such evidence shall include the title, date, and author of the material, and any necessary translation.

My biography was published in marquis who is who in the world in 2008. I am not sure whether I can claim this criteria.

I am planning to apply in EB1 A category. Please let me your critical comments on my application. Whether I am eligible to apply for I-140 in EB1a.

Thank you very much

Kris

Since you are a postdoc it is probably already a problem. How can you be at the top of your field (not the top of postdocs in your field)?

45 papers in peer-review journals (most of the articles from 2007, 11 first/Co first authored)
41 abstracts in national/international meetings Are these peer reviewed?
Around 120 citations How many of these are citations not by yourself or by others that have written the article? For instance article A is written by Dr X, Dr You and Dr Z. If you cite article A in article B it doesn't count for citations. If Dr X cites Aricle A in Article B it doesn't count for citations either (Since Dr X is part of the original group, If Dr M cites article A in article B it is an 'out of the loop citation". these are the only Ones USCIS accepts as proof

Evidence of the alien's participation, either individually or on a panel, as a judge of the work of others in the same or an allied field of specification for which classification is sought
Reviewer for around 12 journas and reviewed 20 articles Were you specifically invited to do so?
Editor for atleast 3 journals What kind of journals? what is their prestige? What is their circulation? How many journals are you editor for?
Invitation from at least 3 journals to submit my manuscripts Can you explain?, just regular requests or specifically to YOU for YOUR specific research from internationally renowned journals?

Evidence of the alien's original scientific, scholarly, artistic, athletic, or business-related contributions of major significance in the field
I will get at least 9 recommendation letters from different places in USA (I have never been worked with them)So what will they say?
I will also describe about my work hereWhich is? how have you: sustained national or international acclaim and whose achievements have been recognized in the field through extensive documentation.

Documentation of the alien's membership in associations in the field for which classification is sought, which require outstanding achievements of their members, as judged by recognized national or international experts in their disciplines or fields
I have the memberships in AHA, ASPET, APS and AAPS and sigma XI. These societies requires the atleast 2-10 publications, PhD degree and at least two nominations.This is not true, I checked the membership requirements. Unless you have been invited to some specific kind of membership (as in APS fellow) these memberships won't count. If you claim something you would have to back this up with proof or USCIS will not entertain it. You would have to proof that these organisations rewuire outstanding achievent in order for them to invite you to become a member.

Published material about the alien in professional or major trade publications or other major media, relating to the alien's work in the field for which classification is sought. Such evidence shall include the title, date, and author of the material, and any necessary translation.

My biography was published in marquis who is who in the world in 2008. I am not sure whether I can claim this criteria.No

I am planning to apply in EB1 A category. Please let me your critical comments on my application. Whether I am eligible to apply for I-140 in EB1a.I'm not sure and need more information as mentioned above. I think you would have a good case for EB2

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Kris,

IMHO although your eligibility in any category depends on you fulfilling criteria, the most important factor is how you sell it to the immigration officer. Just sending this list won't do it, you'll need a story, a personal statement that puts it all together. You did not win a Nobel prize (nor did the rest of us for that matter), which is rather obvious.

Another way to think of the IO's job is reviewing a scientific paper (you are a reviewer, and even an editor, so you know what that means). If it is easy to read, the IO will do it faster. If it is a pleasant read and the story makes sense, the IO may approve it, and fast. If the IO needs to do a lot of work to search and put all the pieces together, the IO may be slow and may start asking questions. You don't want to be there, if it is not necessary.

Besides that, why do you apply for EB1A, not for NIW? The criteria are different, for NIW you do not need to be in the top 1% of your field, which is very difficult to achieve.

Some tidbits:

It is probably good if these journals that invite you to publish are of high standing. We all get lots of emails from obscure 'journals' asking to submit papers. Marquis whoswho also sent me emails. I ignore these. They probably harvest email addresses from scientific journals you publish in.

Hopethis helps.

Juribu (not a lawyer, but a permanent resident)

Since you are a postdoc it is probably already a problem. How can you be at the top of your field (not the top of postdocs in your field)?
I wanted to claim like in biomedical field, the normal postdoc or researcher can publish 2.9 papers for year but I have more than 7 papers for year.

41 abstracts in national/international meetings Are these peer reviewed? Yes these abstracts and papers are peer reviewed in reputed journals.

Around 120 citations How many of these are citations not by yourself or by others that have written the article? For instance article A is written by Dr X, Dr You and Dr Z. If you cite article A in article B it doesn't count for citations. If Dr X cites Aricle A in Article B it doesn't count for citations either (Since Dr X is part of the original group, If Dr M cites article A in article B it is an 'out of the loop citation". these are the only Ones USCIS accepts as proof.
Around 110 citations are out of loop hole (cited by others as you said).

Reviewer for around 12 journas and reviewed 20 articles Were you specifically invited to do so? Yes I received the invitation by my name like Dr. XXX. I also have the thank you letters on my name.

Editor for atleast 3 journals What kind of journals? what is their prestige? What is their circulation? How many journals are you editor for? I am the editor for 3 journals. They are indexed in Chemical Abstracts, CSA databases, DOAJ, EBSCO Publishing’s Electronic Databases, Excerpta Medica / EMBASE, Google Scholar, Hinari, Index Copernicus, Journal Citation Reports, OpenJGate, Science Citation Index Expanded, Ulrich’s International Periodical Directory, Web of Science.

Invitation from at least 3 journals to submit my manuscripts Can you explain?, just regular requests or specifically to YOU for YOUR specific research from

I received the invitation by my name like Dr. XXX. May be I cannot claim this ???

I will get at least 9 recommendation letters from different places in USA (I have never been worked with them)So what will they say? Recently I met some professors in conferences and had a discussion about my work. They are familiar with my area of research. They will highlight the present and past work in letters.[/COLOR]

I will also describe about my work hereWhich is? how have you: sustained national or international acclaim and whose achievements have been recognized in the field through extensive documentation.
I will quote my citations and describe about my published work. My papers were cited in different countries and also in big journals like JCI, PNAS and Nature Genetics.

I have the memberships in AHA, ASPET, APS and AAPS and sigma XI. These societies requires the atleast 2-10 publications, PhD degree and at least two nominations.This is not true, I checked the membership requirements. Unless you have been invited to some specific kind of membership (as in APS fellow) these memberships won't count. If you claim something you would have to back this up with proof or USCIS will not entertain it. You would have to proof that these organisations rewuire outstanding achievent in order for them to invite you to become a member.
In APS (American physiological society) and ASPET (American society of experimental pharmacology and Thereapeutics) memberships we need atleast 1-2 nominations and minimum 2 publications in addition to PhD degree.

My biography was published in marquis who is who in the world in 2008. I am not sure whether I can claim this criteria.No

I am planning to apply in EB1 A category. Please let me your critical comments on my application. Whether I am eligible to apply for I-140 in EB1a.I'm not sure and need more information as mentioned above. I think you would have a good case for EB2.

I am belong to the retrogressed country (India). I prefer to try in EB1a. What is your suggestion.

Dear Kariboo,

Thank you very much for your prompt, please let me know your opinion again

Thank you very much

Kris

QUOTE=Juribu;2153323]Dear Juribu,

IMHO although your eligibility in any category depends on you fulfilling criteria, the most important factor is how you sell it to the immigration officer. Just sending this list won't do it, you'll need a story, a personal statement that puts it all together. You did not win a Nobel prize (nor did the rest of us for that matter), which is rather obvious.

Another way to think of the IO's job is reviewing a scientific paper (you are a reviewer, and even an editor, so you know what that means). If it is easy to read, the IO will do it faster. If it is a pleasant read and the story makes sense, the IO may approve it, and fast. If the IO needs to do a lot of work to search and put all the pieces together, the IO may be slow and may start asking questions. You don't want to be there, if it is not necessary.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will write the 30 pages covering letter and describe about my work and importance.

Besides that, why do you apply for EB1A, not for NIW? The criteria are different, for NIW you do not need to be in the top 1% of your field, which is very difficult to achieve.

I belong to the retrogressed country (India). First I will apply EB1a and later on I will try for EB 2 NIW.

Some tidbits:

It is probably good if these journals that invite you to publish are of high standing. We all get lots of emails from obscure 'journals' asking to submit papers. Marquis whoswho also sent me emails. I ignore these. They probably harvest email addresses from scientific journals you publish in.

I received the invitation by my name like Dr. XXX. May be I cannot claim this ??? Am I right,

Thank you once again[/COLOR]

Hopethis helps.

Juribu (not a lawyer, but a permanent resident)[/QUOTE]

Well if EB2 is not an option you should just try for EB1. Worst case scenario it will only cost you money. I have seen cases like yours denied and accepted so I can't say either way what will happen. I think you are good as far as pubs and cictations are concerned, however it is still up to you to prove you are at the top of your field. Since you haven's described your reasoning for that I can't comment on it. Your argument that you publish more a year does not hold much water, it just says you are productive not that you are exceptional. The impact you have made (have others adopted your work, have they changed the way they think/work) and the respect you have earned (what do the bigshots in your area think about you? do they see you as a colleague or a 'promising' scientist? the latter will not work in your favor) will prove this.

As far as the letters you received for manuscripts and referee: if they are basically : 'dear colleague/name. please referee for us or please submit manuscript for us then they will not help you application. All scientists get inundated with letters like this. it will not prove you are exceptional. It will only prove that you do what is considered part of the job. As far as being an editor: it is only a good argument if you are part of a small and prestigious staff and the magazine has a renowned international reputation. being an editor of 'a magazine as there are many' will not fulfill this criterion.

Proving your impact by using citations is possible but you would need additional evidence. What have you discovered and how has it changed the world?

Your memberships will not count.

Again the worst that can happen if you aplly is that you get denied.

Dear Kariboo and Juribu,

How can I explain all the details in 8-10 page covering letter. As you already konwn that I have 45 publications, 41 abstract and 110 citations. Can I write all these titles list in the cover letter or not?? Please give me your advice what is the important things in the cover letter.

Thank you

This is the reason I would recommend you use a good immigration attorney. They can direct you in how to write a letter. Letters are personal and everyone is different. You use you pubs, citations and all the other items you mentioned as SUPPORT of your letter. You do not just make a long list of what you have done and then expect an IO to infer what that means. You write your letter to explain what impact you have made and how you believe you are eligible for EB1. You mention the criteria and then prove how they pertain to you. you refer to addendums to back that up.

F.i you claim that you are among the top 2% of your field, this is supported by your publications (see attachemnt a) which are significantly more than other people in your field as proven by stats (in attachment b etc). You also quote form support letters in your cover letter. As prof X also mentions in his letter (attachment 5) I have made significant impact in my field, also proven by my invitations to become an editor of magazine G (attachment 3) which has international renown (see attachment 4 etc)

It took me weeks to get ours down to under 15 pages. You have to be able to explain yourself concisely and precisely, and it is up to you to put the work into doing that

Dear Kariboo,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I have a one more doubt to claim the reviewerer. Can I must submit the letters from editor to claim as a reviewer (In addition to invitation to review)

Thank you

Hi 1975,

I can answer this one. I think 'the more the merrier'. If you have invitation letters to review 'Dear Colleague, we at Nature would appreciate your review of ...', send them in. It is wise to at the same time try and obtain letters from these and possibly other journals that you have reviewed for, and that they asked especially YOU to review for their high-impact journals. It has been my experience that the editors are ready to respond promptly. I hope you will have the same experience.

Good luck, Juribu

Dear Kariboo,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I have a one more doubt to claim the reviewerer. Can I must submit the letters from editor to claim as a reviewer (In addition to invitation to review)

Thank you