Need Transit Visa ? please share your experiences .....

rkm_gc

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

I am travelling through London, UK this december to Bombay, India.

I have I-551 stamp in my passport and as I was told by the Travel Agency, Airlines that I need no Transit Visa as I am a Green Card Holder in US.

I am still waiting for the plastic card to arrive and which might take another 6-10 months or so ....

I am given numerous answers by many that You need a Transit Visa" and by many "you don't". I am confused and bewildered about thsi whole transit visa junk.

Who ever travelled through London on their I-551 stamp an no transit visa ... please share your experiences for the sake of many ........

- rkm

Get it man!!!!!!

rkm_gc,
for the peace of mind either you get it (it is not long process)
OR
go via other country.

UK immigration website clearly states that a transit visa is required if you do not have the permanent resident card.

rkm_gc said:
Guys,

I am travelling through London, UK this december to Bombay, India.

I have I-551 stamp in my passport and as I was told by the Travel Agency, Airlines that I need no Transit Visa as I am a Green Card Holder in US.

I am still waiting for the plastic card to arrive and which might take another 6-10 months or so ....

I am given numerous answers by many that You need a Transit Visa" and by many "you don't". I am confused and bewildered about thsi whole transit visa junk.

Who ever travelled through London on their I-551 stamp an no transit visa ... please share your experiences for the sake of many ........

- rkm

I am aware of the rules and let me explain. If you have a 551 stamp on the passport, then you need a transit visa to go via London. If you received plastic card already, you don't need transit visa. This is because of the security, asylum & forgery concerns with the not so impressive passport stamp of I-551. The plastic card has more security features. So it all depends on whether you want to use the passport stamp or the plastic card for travelling via London. The best thing to do is go via some other European country or Kuwait airlines which doesn't require a transit visa. Hope this helps.

AS FROM THEIR WEBSITE :

Evidence of your Immigration Status in the USA. Please submit the original document. Copies will only delay your application.
Alien Registration Card (Greencard)
H1-B Visa
Advance Parole Document
Employment Authorisation Card
Valid IAP66/DS 2019
Valid I20, signed on the reverse by designated school official
Valid I-94
B1/B2 Visitors please click here

They took away my I-94 during the I-551 stamping .........
There is no mention of I-551 stamp ....
I need to send only the passport .... ?

My advice

My friends cousin tried to travel last week from Indianapolis to India via New York, London with her passport stamp. She reached NY from Indianapolis by flight and then tried to board the flight to India. She was refused permission to board the flight because of passport stamping. She was told that she needed transit visa. This happened last week. I think that should clear the issue here.

My suggestion is, go to the nearest UK consulate and apply for transit visa personally. I do not believe in mailing passports to them through postal service to apply for transit visa. It is better to show your passport stamp personally at the consulate, finish the paper work and get the visa.

OR

Avoid London.

www.britainusa.com is not allowing me to take an appointment ....
it is making things worse ....

Hmm .. I am travelling on December 2nd and is there enough time to do this transit visa stuff ..... I should have gone for the ticket from other country .. than going through the UK .....

Did anybody get the TRANSIT VISA through appointment ? ... Please post .....

one of my friend just walked in (of course - it is the chicago office), and got the transit visa the next day. (all this is happened in the previous week).

Guys !!

Here's some information I found on their website :-

Yes, you need a Direct Airside Transit (DAT) visa, unless you qualify for exemption because you hold one of the following:

a valid visa for entry to Canada or the USA and, regardless of the routing you choose, your ticketing includes a visit to Canada or the USA;

a valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from Canada or the United States of America to another country or territory, providing that you do not seek to transit the United Kingdom on a date more than six months from the date on which you last entered Canada or the USA with a valid visa;

a US I - 551 Permanent Residence Card (Green Card) issued on or after 21 April 1998;

a US Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration - Form 155
an expired I - 551 Permanent Residence Card and a valid letter authorising its extension from a US Embassy/Consulate;

a Canadian Permanent Residence Card issued on or after 28 June 2002;
a valid Category D visa issued by EU/EEA member states;

a common format EU residence permit issued under Council Regulation (EC) No 1030/2002.

This stated that if we have I551 is same as the GC .... am I right ...n we need NO DATV ... hmmmm more over, We do have valid ticket and I am travelling by Air India .....

No body lifts the phone at this NY British Embassy .. for how much time they will be on vacation ..... and they want everybody to take appointment for the application to be submitted and the appointment website has no appointments made available ... I think they are more confusing thatn USCIS ... god help the Britain immigrants .... or say us ...

- Rkm

Last edited by a moderator:
rkm_gc said:
This stated that if we have I551 is same as the GC .... am I right ...n we need NO DATV ... hmmmm more over, We do have valid ticket and I am travelling by Air India .....

- Rkm

OK, first let me clarify that the official name of the GC is I551. So they are refering to the actual physical card and not the stamp. Second, it is sure you need a transit visa if you only have the stamp and not the atual card. Third, man stop being so paranoid about the whole transit visa thing. It is still only Nov 12, so still have 20 days to go. So relax, and try to take deep breathes. Keep trying the embassy number, or take a day off and visit the embassy. If they won't give the visa, you might get the appointemt !

rkm_gc,
You do need a transit visa. I-551 is the actual card issued after April 1998, not just the temporary stamp. UK website refers to the actual card, not the stamp. April 1998 is when new security features were added to the card.

Someone I know who tried to go with the I-551 stamp on the passport was refused boarding on a BritishAirways flight from Detroit to Bombay last week. He had to go to UK embassy in chicago and get a transit visa and then go on the flight a couple days later

if you have a reentry permit for USA, then you should be OK. Although PP stamp for GC is a temporary proof of legal residenship in the USA and hence is not necessarily considered as a legal reentry permit by every other country.

disclaimer:I'm not a lawer and please don't conmsider this as legal advise.

You need a transit visa. I am in same condition. While returning to US Indian immigration did not allow me to board the plane because of this issue. I did change my route. I came here yesterday. Going to India I did not face any problems. No problems in US. They did not ask for any other documents just passport.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: