Need to show both (2) AP papers when return?

samlooker

Registered Users (C)
So I got my APs today, they r 2 identical papers. What's the purpose of 2 identical papers? I read somewhere when returning to US I need to show both and the officer will stamp both papers, is this true? Why?

Thx.

You may want to carry both with you. When I was coming back from Europe this past summer, this prick (immigration officer) gave every single traveller a hard time. He was down right abusive and in a very very bad mood. When my turn came, he got pissed that i hadn't filled out a new I94 (i didn't because i still had my old one attached to my passport). Then he asked me for my AP. I only had one. He scolded me for that. I must say this is the very first time that i had this problem. I had been and out of the country before then without incident. So, you never know who you're going to be dealing with.

samlooker said:
So I got my APs today, they r 2 identical papers. What's the purpose of 2 identical papers? I read somewhere when returning to US I need to show both and the officer will stamp both papers, is this true? Why?

Thx.

Did he let you go eventuly? I still don't understand why 2 identical papers were given. Will they stamp both and return them to me, or they will take one away? Can I use them for multiple times?

phila_babu said:
You may want to carry both with you. When I was coming back from Europe this past summer, this prick (immigration officer) gave every single traveller a hard time. He was down right abusive and in a very very bad mood. When my turn came, he got pissed that i hadn't filled out a new I94 (i didn't because i still had my old one attached to my passport). Then he asked me for my AP. I only had one. He scolded me for that. I must say this is the very first time that i had this problem. I had been and out of the country before then without incident. So, you never know who you're going to be dealing with.

They will only stamp one and you can use it multiple times till it expires. I really don't know why they give two copies. I asked them that at the airport and they didn't have a good answer - said something vague about keeping a copy for your records. I would just suggest always carry both.

Oh yes. He did. He had no choice. He just made me go back in line to fill out an i94 card. Remember, i was with my wife who is USC.

samlooker said:
Did he let you go eventuly? I still don't understand why 2 identical papers were given. Will they stamp both and return them to me, or they will take one away? Can I use them for multiple times?

I had a different experience. Recently I was traveling from Canada, using my AP first time. The immigration officer was very nice, he stamped both copies (told me next time to take just one and keep one for my records), stamped my passport and filled a new I-94 for me :) (and took the one that I had). I also was with my US citizen husband.
Probably all depends on the mood :)

Actually, I go to Canada on a monthly basis (I am a Canadian Citizen). I have never been asked for both copies. The folks there are very nice (it also helps that they know me because they see me every month). But the point is, i don't see why one should carry both copies. It seems to me that one copy should be kept in a safe place in case the other one is lost. Having both only increases the chance of losing them.

I any event, i know now that when I come from Europe i have to carry both copies just in case i run into another one of those a**hole INS officers.

Lina_12 said:
I had a different experience. Recently I was traveling from Canada, using my AP first time. The immigration officer was very nice, he stamped both copies (told me next time to take just one and keep one for my records), stamped my passport and filled a new I-94 for me :) (and took the one that I had). I also was with my US citizen husband.
Probably all depends on the mood :)

This procedure is not consistent across different POE's in the US. Some officers keep one sheet of the original for their records, some make a copy and return the original back to you, some dont even ask. Its always good to be prepared and take whatever you have.