Need to go to India, how long can I be away

paapu

Registered Users (C)
My wife (who recently got her GC stamped) and my son (US Citizen) need to go to India in Oct'02 and they plan to return sometime in Mar'03. This is going to be around 5 months, less than 5 months.

Is this okay ? Do I need to get any clearance or apply for any paperwork ? How long can they stay out of the country. Please do let me know.

i do not see any problem. if you want to make sure. you could apply for reentry permit. it takes 3 months.

What re-entry permit???

I'm planning to go home for good.. not yet decided...how can I maintain the GC status... I already received the GC physical card and will be expired in another 10 years...

Any problem if I come back after 2 years?

re-entry permit

re-entry permit is a document looks and behaves like a passport. a friend does not have passport (his country refuses to issue) and he travels on re-entry permit. it allows you to reenter US within 2 years. in another words, you could leave US for 1.5 years and come back and keep GC status. GC card will encounter problem if you are outside for over a year. it is fairly easy to get one. just matter of time (3 months, I think).

Re-entry permit

Hi prime877, can you tell me where to apply the re-entry permit?? I'm really thinking of going home for a while.... may or may not come back.. but for Plan B, I need a Plan B..

Thanks

Thanks JoeF for your reply... is that possible that if I apply for myself?? Or it has to go through an attorney??

Thanks again

Can I apply for rentry permit and leave before it is approved?

Can I be outside the US, while I-131 is being processed/approved - and then return to US after 2 years?

Does the local INS office accept I-131 for urgent cases?

Last edited by a moderator:
Specs on Rentry Permit

Thanks Joef. I am seriously considering taking up a job in India for the next 1 - 2 years, considering the job market here,my Wife's academics (She is not employed here) and finacial situation.

1. How many times can a person apply for Rentry Permit? - or is this a one time application? Is this in 1 year intervals?

2. Is there a rule that 2 year reentry permits are allowed only once.

3. What happens, if I apply once for two years and return within 6 months- 1 year. Will I be able to apply 2 year AP once again.

4. How safe is traveling on AP (while having GC). IS there a chance at POE, they'll refuse entry?