Need to get married here in US then leave the country....What is the best way???

acestriker

Registered Users (C)
Hopefully anybody here can help me with to make a decision. Here's the case:
I am US citizen and want to marry my gf from Indonesia. I met her when I was working there last year. And now we are planning to get married here in the US because my parents and most of my relatives are here. But.....we (yes, both of us) want to move and stay there (semi-permanent) in Indonesia after we get married. And at some point in time (in the future), we will back here to US for good, when the time is right.
So, I am not sure which visa is the best way to do it....
After I did my research and asked several ppl, I came up with some option:
1. Using K-1 visa: I am pretty sure the process isn't that long and she can come here easily. But...... can she leave the country after we get married without problems??
2. Visa tourist: but this is very risky, nowadays it's really difficult to get tourist visa if she never been here before
3. Any other suggestion???

A1: Yes she can leave the country once she files for AOS (and AP) and the AP document is issued to her.
A2: Don't even consider that route
A3: See A1

1. Using K-1 visa: I am pretty sure the process isn't that long and she can come here easily. But...... can she leave the country after we get married without problems??
2. Visa tourist: but this is very risky, nowadays it's really difficult to get tourist visa if she never been here before
3. Any other suggestion???

Acestriker, I am in an almost exact situation. I made some posts on this forum about this issue, but I don't know if both of us leaving the US back to Romania would then cause a problem for her or both of us. It would make sense to think that we have the right to decide what we do, but who knows how the INS might interpret it. If you find out more information, I would be honored if you'd pass it along. Good luck (isn't love a bitch sometimes)?

... at some point in time (in the future), we will back here to US for good, when the time is right.
Unless this is a few months, all of your other worries and questions are irrelevant. If she is not planning on residing in the US any time soon, she has no business applying for adjustment of status. Just get her here on a tourist visa, get married and move to her country (you may need to apply for a residence permit in her country; check this out). Once the time comes to start planning to move back to the US, apply for her green card, based on your marriage (consular processing).

Wd