need to file I485 without lawyer now

fgwh

I am new here, and also know nothing about the GC application process.

My husband applied as Outstanding professor and researcher sponsored by the university, I guess it is EB1. And he got the I-140 approval notice (It is at the lawyer's, we haven't seen yet) not long ago. Now, the lawyer asked for $1500 each for me and him to file I-485 which will not be paid by the university, as you know we also need to pay $1010 each for the fees, and we simply can't afford it. So, we are thinking we should file I-485 by ourselves. We didn't know we can file I-140 and I-485 together, otherwise, we would do so in the first place.
As you can see, we totally left this matter to our lawyer and didn't do any research on this subject, however we never talked with her directly.

I looked at online, filing I-485 doesn't seem to be that complicated, does it?

So my question is:
1. Is it durable to file I-485 by ourselves? What possible tips there are?
2. What else can we file together with it? Such as EAD?
3. What documents exactly required to submit I-485?
4. Should I wait for him to file, get approved, then file myself? or should we file together?

Any help information will be highly appreciated.

My answers are inline in color below.
So my question is:
1. Is it durable to file I-485 by ourselves? What possible tips there are? You could do it by yourselves.
2. What else can we file together with it? Such as EAD? You could apply for EAD if you intend to work while waiting and also AP if you intend to travel.
3. What documents exactly required to submit I-485? You could get that in the instruction but at a minmum, the I-140 approval notice, birth certificates, marriage certificate, copies of passports, etc
4. Should I wait for him to file, get approved, then file myself? or should we file together? It is better if you both apply at the same time. In fact I would say apply at the same time as both cases will be approved together.

Any help information will be highly appreciated. You are welcome!

Lots of people file I-485 without a lawyer. I-485 belongs to the individual, not the employer, and it is designed for regular individuals to be able to file it.

Just read up the instructions, complete it and the associated forms to the best of your ability (don't forget to make an appointment for the medical exam!), and ask here if something is unclear. Make sure you get a copy of the I-140 approval to submit with the I-485.

We didn't know we can file I-140 and I-485 together, otherwise, we would do so in the first place.
Most people can't file them together. However, in EB1 you can almost always file them together, and the lawyer should have informed you of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people can't file them together.

Actually to be exact everybody can file both I-140 and I-485 together as long as the priority date is current.
The ONLY limiting factor is the priority date. And that is the MAIN reason why EB1 can file it together -- because it is current (at least for now and the forseeable future).

Lots of people file I-485 without a lawyer. I-485 belongs to the individual, not the employer, and it is designed for regular individuals to be able to file it.

Just read up the instructions, complete it and the associated forms to the best of your ability (don't forget to make an appointment for the medical exam!), and ask here if something is unclear. Make sure you get a copy of the I-140 approval to submit with the I-485.

Most people can't file them together. However, in EB1 you can almost always file them together, and the lawyer should have informed you of that.

Thank you. I understand a little more now. I will prepare the forms and ask questions along the way. So long

Actually to be exact everybody can file both I-140 and I-485 together as long as the priority date is current.
Yes, but I didn't want to dive into detailed explanation of priority dates because they don't really matter to the OP who is in EB1. Most other people are not in a position where their priority date is current at the time of filing the I-140.

Thank you. I understand a little more now. I will prepare the forms and ask questions along the way. So long

Also, make sure you get a copy of I140 from your lawyer. Probably its not a good idea to tell your lawyer that you are going to file by yourself. Just tell him/her that you need it for your reference. If you tell him/her then chances are he/she will not give it to you because 140 belongs to the company.