need to apply for J1 waiver, which country, please help

ssa27

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I recently discovered these forums and have a question for you all. I am an Indian Citizen but moved to Canada as a permanent resident after getting married. After living there for 2 years I came to US on a J1 visa in 2004. My DS 2019 states that i need a waiver because of US funding (i am into research and had a postdoctoral grant from Department of defense). So, i assumed that i need a waiver from Canada as that was my country of last permanent residence but my institute still wanted to get an advisory opinion and the advisory opinion shocked me as they say i need a waiver from India based on SKILLS LIST.
Do you all think i should just go ahead and apply for the waiver from India, i donot want any complications later stating that i needed it from Canada.
I only have 10 months left for J1 visa and I could have applied for extension but my institute told me that an extension can only be applied 90 days before expiration of Ji, is hat true?
I am totally confused please help?

Your country of last permanent residence stated on your DS2019 will determine where you are expected to fulfil the 2yr HRR. Check - what do you have documented on it.
Also there is no such thing as obtaining waiver from India or Canada, only the USCIS can grant you a waiver, obviously you'll have to go thru DOS.

Thanks

depending on my DS 2019, I need a waiver based on my funding and my country of last permanent residence on it is canada. so does that mean i will need to apply through Canada, Can i disregard the advisory opinion?