Need to apply for H1B -- pls suggest! :-)

Rasu

Registered Users (C)
Hi to all out there...

I need to apply for an H1B visa to do a research fellowship in Philadelphia. I have the job offer and want to get this visa at the earliest. How do I best go about this??? Do I contact Rajeev Khanna? How can I help my employer to help me?

I also wish to apply for an H4 for my wife. Do I do this simultaneously?

Any help / suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thank you!

:)

Dr Rasu.

No Title

Dr. Rasu,
I have had a very pleasant experience with Mr. Rajiv Khanna\'s office.
His staff has been very courteous, helpful and prompt.
Good luck with your visa.
MJ1

No Title

Dear MJ1,

Thank you for your words. You have always been so ready to help, and I really do appreciate that.

My employer in the US just emailed me a day ago saying that he had at last managed to get a position for me at his hospital for research. How do you think I should tell him about Mr Rajeev Khanna? WHO do you think should pay for the charges of his services and that of the INS etc?

Please suggest. Thanks.

Regards,

Dr Rasu.

No Title

Dr. Rasu,
You can ask the employer if he will bear the charges.
First of all, I would ask the employer if they have any experience filing for H1 or have a legal dept who can do that for you. If they do, then your life is very easy. Most large hospitals/ schools/ institutions do have legal depts or teams.
If not, you ask them if they will pay. If not, then you would have to. If this is a not-for-profit organization or an institution for higher learning, the $1000 fee will be waived by INS. Your employer will have to provide proof to that effect. Usually there is a standrad letter format that has his Tax ID and letter from IRS that the lawyer will have.
You can pay the legal fees but the processing fees will have to come from the employer. These will be $110 processing fees if the employer meets the above criteria or will be $1000 + $110 processing fee. In any case, you cannot pay these and they will have to come from employer.
Legal fees range from $1100 to $1500, depending on the lawyer. Lawyer usually asks for a retainer worth half the legal fees, which you will have to pay upfront.
There are advantages of getting your own lawyer and initiating the process. You have better control and know exactly whats going on.
If your employer will pay for the services or will have their own legal dept deal with your case, let them do the work and provide them with paperwork.
If you decide to use a lawyer\'s services, talk to the lawyer and ask if they will handle your case. Give all case details. If the lawyer agrees, talk to the employer and inform them about the lawyer and tell them he will be getting in touch.
If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
MJ1

No Title

Thank you MJ1 for your suggestions. I will do what you have said, and will let you know the progress.

I also wish to apply for an H4 for my wife. Do I do this simultaneously??

Thanks.

Dr Rasu.

No Title

Yes, you can do it simultaneously or take her to the consulate with you and get visa directly. I don\'t think H4 has to be approved by INS.
Verify with lawyer.
MJ1

No Title

Dear MJ1,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will keep you posted on the developments!

You have been very kind.

Regards,

Dr Rasu.

No Title

Rasu,
    How did you get the research job?Did you apply from India.or did you come here on a visitor visa?Are you a MBBS graduate in India.Can you suggest me a web site which info about all this.My brother is a MBBS graduate in India and would like to come here on a research job and later apply for residency.

your advice is highly appreciated
tan_b