Need Suggestions....relocate to NJ/NY area

Unbelievable

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Currently I live in MA and my current job will end this month. Since I am not finding good jobs in MA trying to relocate to NJ/NY area. I don't have any idea about NJ/NY area about a good/safe place to work and stay with family.

Any idea will be greatly appriciated.

Unbelievable said:
Hi,

Currently I live in MA and my current job will end this month. Since I am not finding good jobs in MA trying to relocate to NJ/NY area. I don't have any idea about NJ/NY area about a good/safe place to work and stay with family.

Any idea will be greatly appriciated.
NJ is a good place to stay. Very fast paced mechanical life. More job opportunities in NYC and NJ. Cost of living is high. This is my opinion. I have been here since 2000, prior to that I was in AR for about a year. Sometimes I couldn't take the pressure and thought about going elsewhere, but when I think of money and opportunities I decided to stay back...

Hi bunchofquestion,

Nice to here from NJ people. Can you please be more detail about specific places that are good for work/stay in NJ, where usually Indians stays. What is the downtown of NJ? Like in MA "Boston" is called downtown. I have seen more jobs in NJ than MA in the jobsites in internet.

Central NJ (North, east, new Braunwick) are very good areas to live. There are good number of jobs in these areas.

Good thing about Central Jersey is, you can also work in New York city. There are good number of jobs in Mercer County, prinston area.

For me, I am bored with Jersey. I don't like it because of weather, high cost of living (autp/health Insurance, property taxe), high housing prices etc.

I am considering to move to Atlanta. But not decided yet..

NJ is okay, but the cost of living is very high (my sibling used to live in NJ and didn't like it there because of traffic, high tax, high Health insurance, confusing directions on the highways, etc.), but there are good job opportunities in tri-states (NJ/NY/Conn). You can move there if you like. It is not too bad in NJ.

Have you thought about moving to Washington DC area? There are many job opportunities in DC area (including Maryland, Washington DC, and Northern Virginia)?

npm20011, are you really moving to Atlanta? ok. good luck :) The weather is nice, but summer it is way hot. The area is okay, but there are very few job opportunities in Atlanta.

I am considering anywhere except MidWest and Southern states that have few high-tech job opportunites.

USGC485

Welcome to India :D . Except for the higher cost of living and better job opportunities, NJ is like india.
Pros:
Indians are every where in NJ, especially more in Central Jersey.
Jobs oppportunities are very good
Salaries are higher (compared to other places)
Good School districts in most of the places

Cons:
Higher Rents (on an average, single bed room house = $1100, 2 bed room = $1400)
Higher cost of owning a home (average new single family home = 400K + )
Compulsory Minimum One year Rental agreements (you can't break them also)
Higher Auto insurance (Around $1400/yr per Car for most people)
Higher Traffic density and Confusing Routes (it will take a while to understand them)
Longer commutes to work (3 hrs per day if you work in New york)
Chilling winter (heavy snow for 3 months)

If job opportunities is your single most concern, then this is the place. For me job opportunities is the single most concern and i have decided to settle here despite my dislike for this place. Besides jobs, the other incentive for me is the number of friends i have in this state. Most of my school mates, college mates etc live in this state and i guess it's the same story with every one.

NJ/NY are the slums of USA.

If you like living in a slum then these are the places for you. You can make money here but there is no life.

DC, MA are much better places, Or better still Chicago.

If you want to run day to day and want to become exhausted by the end of the day NJ is a good place to live.Commute will be longer .Oppurtunities wise you will get a good job.

Edison is a good area to live....Close to NY(Midtown-Downtown)/Princeton/Parsippany if you'r in IT.

I agree with every cons dsatish mentioned except Confusing Routes..Roads and signs are VERY GOOD!!

Find a job first and then you will be able to find a place to stay accordingly. I would suggest, first try for jobs in NJ and then NYC. If you want to stay in NJ and work in NYC then expect to spend atleast three hours for commuting.

Nj/ny

Dont bother with NJ.I think cost-wise ,school-wise ,commute-wise , Yonkers ,Westchester county will be a good choice for a person just moving in-lots of Indians,not-too-expensive-convenient and health insurance affordable.Check it out. In NJ Bergen county has terrific schools etc but cost will kill you.Hope that helps
fams

Have you thought about Dallas or Austin in Texas?

I live in Austin, TX. It's a nice place, layed back, no state tax, cost of living is less compared to east or west coast. There are lot of companies in Austin and hiring has picked up compared to last yr.

Dallas is good too. It's better than Austin in terms of no, of job opportunities. But, like other big cities, Dallas is no different. Very big indian community in Dallas and in Austin it's pretty big.

Good luck to you.

Hi All,

So what is the conclusion? Those who stay in NJ/NY, this is a good but expensive place for them and those who don't thinks slums!! :eek:

If I have to relocate, I will first think NJ why bcos lots of Indians, lots of Indian shops and ofcourse jobs are there too. If not NJ then may be DC,MD,VA... ;)

Have you thought of relocating to India...I think that would meet all your expectations without exceptions!!

SLUMS which cost you from 3000-7000 $ for 2 bedroom Apt. Its difficult to believe then what you will call the area you live in...

IN Central NJ, If you can get a nice 2 bedroom apt for $1500. If you cant afford even that, then dont degrade NJ for that...

NJ is like Bombay. Higher Pay, Higher Cost of living... Good life depends on whom you ask..

EAD2003 said:
NJ/NY are the slums of USA.

If you like living in a slum then these are the places for you. You can make money here but there is no life.

DC, MA are much better places, Or better still Chicago.

Rents(S/D) House Car Ins
---------------------------------------------------------------
North NJ 1100/1500 500K 1500 annual
Central NJ 1000/1200 400K 1500 annual
---------------------------------------------------------------

North NJ is about 25 miles from NYC
=> 45min commute @ $150 pm

Central NJ is aboyt 50 miles from NYC
=> 1hr 15min commute to NYC @ $300 pm

-> lots of jobs in NYC as well as NJ. (the good news is since NYC hosts most of the finance companies, they make money either which way the market goes)
-> good schools in most places.
-> lot of indians & indian stores.
-> the parents willnot feel bored or out of place
-> crime rate pretty low

people who are complaining about slums should clean their houses once a while.

I've been living here since 7 years & Iam yet to see a reason to move out of this state.

welcome to the Garden State

Slums!

Is not this true that one of the oldest and biggest slum was established in NY. So why to feel bad about it. Slums are always closer to rich locality.

I agree with SWaiting that NJ is like Bombay. Too many similarities between the two places :cool: .
As a conclusion, i would like to say that the higher pay you get here is much more than the higher cost. I mean a person living in NJ saves much more money than he saves if he works in other states. For an average person with a family, he will spend about 12K to 15K more in NJ compared to TX, Chicago or Atlanta. But he makes atleast 20K to 30K more money here.
So i definitely consider those who live here with a good job, as the lucky ones (including myself at the moment :D ).