Need suggestion for do it yourself kit

ltlmn

Hi,

I am preparing for my NIW petition, Would you please recommand a good "Do it yourself" kit for NIW? Thanks a lot.

ltlmn said:
Hi,

I am preparing for my NIW petition, Would you please recommand a good "Do it yourself" kit for NIW? Thanks a lot.

I can at least tell you which one is really shit:

http://www.greencardapply.com/

That's the one I ordered and I found it absolutly useless with not much helpful informations (The examples for the reference letters are a joke but this is not the only "weakness" of this DIY). Order another one and also consult a lawyer for free and then decide which way is the best to prepare your petition.

ltlmn said:
Hi,

For my case I used DIY kit of GCFY. I found that quite useful. I also bought one kit from greencardapply.com but their reference letters were not very impressive.

honkman said:
Order another one and also consult a lawyer for free and then decide which way is the best to prepare your petition.
Be very careful in consulting lawyers. Recently I visited one lawyer, when I contacted him on phone I was told that he provides free consultation for initial 30 minute. I reached to his office at 10.30, after about 10 minutes his paralegal came. She said hi to me and gave some papers to provide my background etc. I filled all those things in about 15 minutes and gave her those back. Then after about 10 minutes attorney came with those papers, he talked for about 10 minutes and then went in to bring some more documents. Came back and then talked some general stuff. This way at around 12.15 PM this meeting ended.

But most surprising thing happened after this, his accountant asked me to pay $155. I was stunned, I told her that I was informed that first meeting will be free. She said, only first 30 minutes were free, for rest of the time I am supposed to Pay. However, if I decide to hire the attorney then this money will be adjusted. So finally I had no option but to pay the money. In this money probably I could have bought almost all the DIY kits available in the internet.

hporter said:
Be very careful in consulting lawyers. Recently I visited one lawyer, when I contacted him on phone I was told that he provides free consultation for initial 30 minute. I reached to his office at 10.30, after about 10 minutes his paralegal came. She said hi to me and gave some papers to provide my background etc. I filled all those things in about 15 minutes and gave her those back. Then after about 10 minutes attorney came with those papers, he talked for about 10 minutes and then went in to bring some more documents. Came back and then talked some general stuff. This way at around 12.15 PM this meeting ended.

But most surprising thing happened after this, his accountant asked me to pay $155. I was stunned, I told her that I was informed that first meeting will be free. She said, only first 30 minutes were free, for rest of the time I am supposed to Pay. However, if I decide to hire the attorney then this money will be adjusted. So finally I had no option but to pay the money. In this money probably I could have bought almost all the DIY kits available in the internet.

A good lawyer will give you a free first visit, independently how long it will take. Don't go to a lawyer who told you that only the first 30 minutes are free. I think one of the main problems is that most people don't spend enough time to get the best possible lawyer. (You also don't buy a car by just testing one, don't you ?) You have to contact a lot of people and lawyers. aila.org is for example one of the possible starting points but there a lot of other opportunities to get the necessary informations. It's like networking for a job. It takes quite a while to get all information to chose a good one.

Last edited by a moderator:
honkman said:
A good lawyer will give you a free first visit, independently how long it will take. Don't go to a lawyer who told you that only the first 30 minutes are free. I think one of the main problems is that most people don't spend enough time to get the best possible lawyer. (You also don't buy a car by just testing one, don't you ?) You have to contact a lot of people and lawyers. aila.org is for example one of the possible starting points but there a lot of other opportunities to get the necessary informations. It's like networking for a job. It takes quite a while to get all information to chose a good one.
Our aim is to get our GC approved, we are not here to do research on good and bad attorney's. If we spend all of time and energy in dealing with attorneys then when will we gather supporting documents. Everybody knows that in NIW cases attorneys have no role. This forum is for helping each other and providing suggestions, but you always insist for hiring attorney. This is ridiculous. You should not behave like this.

honghui said:
Our aim is to get our GC approved, we are not here to do research on good and bad attorney's. If we spend all of time and energy in dealing with attorneys then when will we gather supporting documents. Everybody knows that in NIW cases attorneys have no role. This forum is for helping each other and providing suggestions, but you always insist for hiring attorney. This is ridiculous. You should not behave like this.

Come on, you are right that our goal is to get GC approved, but there is nothing wrong with searching good attorneys. As discussed many times in this forum, at current stage, I tend to belive that "let us do our work and let the attorneys do their work, such that a case can be approved with maximum possibility". On the other hand, it seems that this forum is hosted by Law Offices Of Rajiv S. Khanna.

honghui said:

Calm down little boy. If you are not able to handle more than one task at the same time (looking for an attorney and getting your documents together) I wonder how good your are at work. I guess you never worked really hard. So why do you think about a green card, you will get fired anyway soon.
And this forum is there to express everybody opinion and when my opinion is that a good attorney will help you more than a DIY I will say so and no idiot like you, who showed already in other threads that you don't have any clue about the immigration process, will stop that. I like sentences as "Everybody knows that in NIW cases attorneys have no role" which show that you are only an naive idiot. Nobody says that a attorney is always the best solution but people with some brain (which you apparently don't have) always analyze the situation first and include all options and then decide what's best for them.

honkman said:
Calm down little boy. If you are not able to handle more than one task at the same time (looking for an attorney and getting your documents together) I wonder how good your are at work. I guess you never worked really hard. So why do you think about a green card, you will get fired anyway soon.
And this forum is there to express everybody opinion and when my opinion is that a good attorney will help you more than a DIY I will say so and no idiot like you, who showed already in other threads that you don't have any clue about the immigration process, will stop that. I like sentences as "Everybody knows that in NIW cases attorneys have no role" which show that you are only an naive idiot. Nobody says that a attorney is always the best solution but people with some brain (which you apparently don't have) always analyze the situation first and include all options and then decide what's best for them.
Just now I read your other posts. Wait for some more time, I am 100% sure your petition will be rejected and you will be deported. you think that by giving money to attorney you have done some great thing. you are fool.

honghui said:
Just now I read your other posts. Wait for some more time, I am 100% sure your petition will be rejected and you will be deported. you think that by giving money to attorney you have done some great thing. you are fool.

Please go on. You are quite funny as the great idiot of the forum. Normally I have to pay to see such good comedy. Your answer is what I expected from the great idiot.

honkman said:
Please go on. You are quite funny as the great idiot of the forum. Normally I have to pay to see such good comedy. Your answer is what I expected from the great idiot.
People like you have no place in this great country. Idiots like u should go back to the mud from where they have come.

stop

honghui said:
People like you have no place in this great country. Idiots like u should go back to the mud from where they have come.

Please STOP personal attack. People come to this forum to seek help or provide help, rather than attack each other.

:) I believe most people in this forum know that honkman, along with other experts, are always there to provide help. I really appreciate their efforts.

:( And honghui, if you don't even know "what DIY is" last month(http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=876732#post876732), and get to an absolute conclusion that "everybody knows that in NIW cases attorneys have no role" today, then you are either showing us that you are with exceptional ability or the reverse.

OK, it is time to stop here.

farhome said:
Please STOP personal attack. People come to this forum to seek help or provide help, rather than attack each other.

:) I believe most people in this forum know that honkman, along with other experts, are always there to provide help. I really appreciate their efforts.

:( And honghui, if you don't even know "what DIY is" last month(http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=876732#post876732), and get to an absolute conclusion that "everybody knows that in NIW cases attorneys have no role" today, then you are either showing us that you are with exceptional ability or the reverse.

Thank you

farhome said:

I am not doing any personal attack but honkman said me idiot. OK I am new in this field, so I asked the full form of DIY, what is wrong in that? honkman has also asked so many questions in other links. all my friends got their NIW by self petioning, one of my childhood friend from Beijing got both, EB1-EA as well as NIW, approved.

Apparently, there are people like DIY and some others like sticking with lawyers, and a few people, like me, like or are considering to do both in some circumstances.

Please be constructive and helpful based on own experience. Please no attack or offensive words.

Last edited by a moderator:
honghui said:
I am not doing any personal attack but honkman said me idiot. OK I am new in this field, so I asked the full form of DIY, what is wrong in that? honkman has also asked so many questions in other links. all my friends got their NIW by self petioning, one of my childhood friend from Beijing got both, EB1-EA as well as NIW, approved.

Nobody has problems that you think a DIY is better than a lawyer. But you shouldn't attack other people who think that a lawyer helps you more (also in NIW) than a DIY. Even if all your friends didn't need a lawyer that doesn't mean it is always the best way. So only thing I always say is that everybody should take his time to find out most about both ways. By buying several DIY and by doing some research about lawyers. Everything is time consuming but to go for a green card is a very time consuming process and I think you shouldn't exclude one possiblity from the beginning for no good reason.