Need Re-entry permit? How new born baby comes to USA

jhoney

Registered Users (C)
Thanks in advace.
We got GC in 2004.
My wife planning to go to India for less than a year(more than 6 months). Do I need to apply a re-entry permit to her ?

If we have a new baby born in India, how the baby comes to USA? I heared if we bring baby to USA within one month then baby can enter as a Perminent Resident.

I hope before we bring baby to USA, we need to apply passport in India and get it, that atleaset takes more than a month.

Please advice is there any time limits to bring baby to USA after born.

Last edited by a moderator:
jhoney said:
My wife planning to go to India for less than a year(more than 6 months). Do I need to apply a re-entry permit to her ?

If she is definitely coming back before one year, she does not need to get REP. However, as she is coming back after a long period of absence, she may need to prove that she did not abandon her LPR status. As her husband (you) is working in USA (I guess so), have residence in USA and filed tax, I don't think it will be very hard to prove that she did not abandon her LPR status.

jhoney said:
If we have a new baby born in India, how the baby comes to USA? I heared if we bring baby to USA within one month then baby can enter as a Perminent Resident.

I hope before we bring baby to USA, we need to apply passport in India and get it, that atleaset takes more than a month.

Whatever you heard is partially true.
Yes, the new born child will get LPR status at POE. Mother must obtain child's birth certificate and passport before coming to USA. However, it's does not need to be within 1 month. The child must enter USA with one of the parents (or both) within two years after birth.

Read Rajiv Khanna's Q&A regarding this issue:
http://www.immigration.com/faq/green3.html#487

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure, that if your wife is coming from India, Airlines (esp Lufthansa) might not accept the baby with just a passport. They might expect some document like Immigrant Visa or Travel document.

thanks

JoeF,rpranesh Thanks for your information.
Is there any procedure like how to contact US consulate to get US regulations on letter head.

You can send an email to US Consulate. You can find out the contact info of the consulate from state.gov or Just google it.

Reentry(I-131) and N-470

My wife is planning to leave USA in a week. I am thinking of applying reentry permit ..better if she stays more than a year.
Do I need to file N-470 too along with I-131 for her. ? We got GC 15 months back.
Is it OK just filing these before couple of days. I am going to stay in USA.

Thanks in adavance.

The person needs to be in US at the time of applying. make sure that you get a receipt or USCIS deposited your check (from your bank's online statement- scanned version of check, you can find the application number). Check the application number has been accepted in case status online.

rpranesh said:
The person needs to be in US at the time of applying. make sure that you get a receipt or USCIS deposited your check (from your bank's online statement- scanned version of check, you can find the application number). Check the application number has been accepted in case status online.

In addition, it's a good idea to keep some proof that she applied in USA. For example, flight ticket and boarding pass for departure.

Thanks for info. Sure, will keep some proof. I am planning to apply thru
E-Filing not done before. Any more precautions before filing. Thanks

Photos

Are the photos to send to USCIS is regular passport photos showing just regular front view or photos with visible of right side the of ear etc. ?
In application I-131 they mentioned clear right side of the ear etc.

Can anybody please advise.

jhoney said:
Are the photos to send to USCIS is regular passport photos showing just regular front view or photos with visible of right side the of ear etc. ?
In application I-131 they mentioned clear right side of the ear etc.

Can anybody please advise.

Regular passport size photo (US passport style). Side-view photos are not used anymore.