need police certificate & IELTS score to apply?

cnatar02

Registered Users (C)
can one apply for canadian PR first (submit forms, fees and other documents) and then submit police certificate and IELTS score, later when they request? or do they have to be submitted along with the initial application itself? can someone let me know?

1. To avoid bureaucratic bungling on the part of CIC, you always want to submit all the documents together.
2. I mailed my IELTS score 7 months after my application submission. Haven't encountered any problems so far.
3. Insofar as I understand it, some police certificates are not required at the time of inital application submission (e.g., FBI fingerprinting if you reside in the US). If you do not submit the required police certificates with your initial application, I would guess there is an outside chance that CIC may return your application. In my case, I submitted police certificate from Thailand (my home country) with my initial application so I can't say for certain what the outcome would have been had I not done so.

Submitting the certificates...

It is better to submit the required certificates while applying. Why do you want to be responsible for the delay of cases. The rules change often.

I have submitted my Finger Print cards (with No Arrest Record Seal, from FBI) in May 2002, while i applied for the PR. I didn't furnish the Police Clearance Certificate from India, at that time. In November 2003, i again got a request to submit the Finger print cards. And, they have asked me to submit the PCC from my native country - India. It took about 25 days to get the PCC from Indian Consulate. Who knows, if i had sent it while applying itself, they wouldn't have asked for the FBI certificate for the second time, along with the PCC.

meow

Meow, from what I gather they ask for new FBI clearence cert if it its been more than a year since you applied before your file is assesed.
That is why they have stopped asking ppl to submit this FBI cert while applying, but ask for it after the assesment is done. I dont think there is any correlation per-se with providing the Indian PCC.
When I applied in May 2003 the Buffalo office specific instructions had mentioned that Indian PCC was not needed and also not to submit FBI cert unless requested by Buffalo.

Hi Texancanadian,

You had mentioned that buffalo office was not asking for FBI and PCC at the time of applying. Is it still valid ? If I submit an application now, I don't need them ? I could not find any mention of it on CIC Buffalo website. Where can I find out about it ?

Thanks,

Kumar

Wrong website

MKKUMAR,
What I had refered to was the Buffalo office specific instructions and not their website. These are located on CIC's website

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/E37048.pdf

However when I look at the new office specific instructions they seem to have changed between when I applied in May 2003 and now. Earlier there were 2 additional sections: one with countries where they said you didnt need to send a police certificate as they would do their own investigation (India was included in this list) and there was another list of countries where the political situation is so bad they recognised it was nearly useless or impossible to obtain a PC (ex Afghanistan, Liberia etc)
Anyways they still say not to send one from US, Canada or HK right now.
So if I were to apply as of today Id probably give one from India.
Hope this helps.
Than

Thanks - Please suggest

Thanks a lot TexanCanadian.

I have Bachelor's degree in engineering. My wife has Master's degree (M.Sc in India) in Chemistry. Both of us are working in IT industry for over 7 years. To get points for education and experience, does the experience be relevant to the education ? If my wife applies as principal applicant we get 76 points and if I apply as principal applicant we get 72 points (assuming we count 16 full points for english language). I am thinking of putting my wife as prinicipal applicant. Do you know if the education has to in the same field as the experience ?

thanks in advance.

- Kumar

Hurry.. Need help in the language proficiency documentation

I am a victim of recently remanded cases to regular in california after waiting for 2 years and I don't have much time left on my H1B to stay in U.S. Eventhough there is a hope of 7th year extension, I don't trust all that anymore.
I need to file the canadian PR Immediately and I don't have time to write IELTS and submit the results. I choose to go with the other option of submitting the documentation which supports that I am comfortable in using the english language. I am from India and all my education is in English and also my current work experience is in english.

I don't have a clue about how to proceed with the documentation. I got the following 4 points from CIC website, If we choose to provide the documentation claiming the english proficiency then we need to provide.

i.)a written submission explaining your training in English or French;
ii.)an explanation of how you commonly use English or French;
iii.)official documentation of education in English or French; and
iv.)official documentation of work experience in English or French.

If anybody has choosen this option and provided the documentation or familiar with this then you are the man I am looking for. Please provide me with the letter drafts, documents I need to Include and also any valuable suggestions that you can provide. If you don't want to post the Info on this website then I can provide my email adress to email me.

Also I will appreciate If anybody can share their experiences with this option. Does they satisfy with the documentation or they will again ask us to go for the IELTS again. Any kind of Inputs will be appreciated. Serious efforts can be compensated as well with a gift.

Answers

MKKUMAR
As to your question on education and work exp, I am not sure. Personally I have an MBA (Finance) but work in a consulting firm and have applied with System analyst as profession as that most resembles my actual job discription.
I guess if your wife is MSC (Chemistry) and is in a computer job it would do but if its something like having an MSC and working as an artist or chef that would be a common-sense no/no. Sorry dont have any definite answer beyond that.

I would go with your wife as the principal applicant. Right now the points are at 67 so you both qualify, but given a scenario where they are raised back to 75 then your wife would qualify but you may//may not. You are lucky to have an option so use it.

casan123

Dude, your english is pretty good based on your note. Just write a basic letter stating exactly the same thing that your education, work exp etc has always been in English, you were raised in an English speaking environment and attach any actual papers, dissertation, project you have done. I think using blanket letters may only create more problems in the long run.
My advise is submit the letter with your form, but then still take the IELTS as soon as u can whenever you get a seat. I think its worth taking it just so that your case is not held hostage to some officers discretion. IMHO you dont have the luxury to take chances in your current situation.
Take care guys and hope 2004 is gr8 for us all.

Other Option

I did & worked....

Draft a letter(Should include following points).

1) education (English Medium)
2) work environment (English Medium)
3) work exp in USA ( It helps a lot....)
4) Offer letters
5) Exp letters
6) If you have any certifications, try to show it was in english and you cleared...

hope it helps....
:D