need information

fadhas02

My parents r us citizen and applied a f3 visa for me(married son of us citizen). I am a physician and resident of Pakistan I passed my ecfmg exam in 1993 and signed residency in anaesthesia in ny but J-1 stuck due to parents status of green card at that time from my home country. My parents got citizenship in 2002 and applied immigrant visa for me in Jan. 2003.
Question: Is any restriction in law that a physician must pass usmle before getting immigrant visa though he is in family catogary.
keeping in mind that my fmg status is expired.

A physician must be ECFMG certified if he enters the US 'to practice medicine'. If you come here as a family immigrant to work at a 7-11 convenience store, you should not be required to get a new ECFMG certification.

Would you want to work in the US as a physician eventually ? If yes, you will undoubtedly need a new ECFMG certificate. 12 years later in your career it will be more difficult to get into a residency here, but with your overseas experience you should be able to get into something like a family practice residency. Back in 93, anesthesia had a bit of a crisis and it was not very difficult to get in as a foreign graduate. Nowadays, anesthesia is very competitive and you would have some difficulty getting in.

anesthesia

Hadron and fdhas

Anesthesia has become very tough to get now. The match percentage was 47% this year in anesthesia. But miracles happen. You have to try and work it out.

Cheers