Need info on PIO card

howdy_howdy

Volunteer Moderator
Folks:

My daugher is born in the US and her parents (me and my wife) were born in India but now we are US citizens.

With this situation, it is possible to get PIO card for my one year old daugher?

Please let me know.

Thanks
howdy_howdy
//

Technically, the daugher is eligible for PIO.

Is there a specific reason for opting PIO instead of "OCI"?

In any case, you (Parents) will have to do the Surrender Certificate/Renunciation ritual, if you haven't done so already.

Even though we will end up transferring the OCI to a new passport every 5 years until minors turn 20, atleast OCI has lifetime validity. PIO is only for
15 years. When you get a new passport, transferring OCI is $25.00 whereas transferring PIO costs $40.00

General rules require a PIO holder to register at FRRO if stay exceeds 180 days, but for minors, I believe, this is not required.

Are the parents applying for OCI as well?

Hmmm.... I didn't know that you one needs to get Surrender Certificate even if s/he is going for PIO card.

I didn't see that as part of "necessary documents" list on CGI Houston web page.

Thanks for your inputs gc4us!

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//

I was checking the DC site for PIO requirements and it states SC/Renunciation as a requirement. I know this is true for Entry Visa also. Not sure if Houston is treating it differently, I doubt that. Kindly check with the Houston folks before starting any application process.

Good luck

Is there a specific reason for opting PIO instead of "OCI"?

I too plan to apply for PIO - as opposed to OCI - just because the processing time is only one-third. Have a trip to India in Jan, and I want to get the visa before buying the tickets.

NSC,
Which consulate do you belong to? From now until Jan, you have almost 4 months and should be sufficient enough for OCI.

I too plan to apply for PIO - as opposed to OCI - just because the processing time is only one-third. Have a trip to India in Jan, and I want to get the visa before buying the tickets.

It is more expensive to have a PIO than an OCI, and as others have mentioned, processing time is about one month +/- one week.