Need Info about CP

asmodean

Registered Users (C)
Trying to get an idea if it is worth trying CP route for GC. My 140 was approved last month. (Applied concurrently with 485 AOS in Vermont in Dec, 2003.) I am trying to decide if it is worth changing the 485-AOS process to CP. Can someone advise on what the risks are and how much approximate time it is taking to get GC this way? (I will be applying to Chennai consulate I guess, if I go through CP).

Thanks a lot.

It's not going to quite work out for you as Chennai does not accept AC140 cases. So you will have to wait for your 824 to get approved which will take 6-8 mos.

Surprisingly, my I-824 got approved in 4 months. So, dropped idea of AC-140, and did regular CP.

asmodean said:
Is there a url where they post what dates they are processing for 824?
BCIS webpages has the dates. I assume it is specific to the service center. Also the dates for Texas and Vermont looks pretty ludicrous.

alren said:
BCIS webpages has the dates. I assume it is specific to the service center. Also the dates for Texas and Vermont looks pretty ludicrous.

For Vermont, it shows as May 28th, 2002. Is that an accurate date or did they just miss updating the dates? I mean, are there anyone out there who applied for 824 recently and got it approved? (I know it is wishful thinking)

asmoden,
This is my personal experience. I was from NSC and the 824 processing date was sometime in 2002 but I haven't filed my 485 yet at that time. It got cleared in 2 weeks (10 Business days). I am not sure such things will happen again.

All I mean by the above post is you can try if you are really interested. More over the receipt notice will say it will take 365 days to process such cases.

Thanks

vm1214 said:
asmoden,
This is my personal experience. I was from NSC and the 824 processing date was sometime in 2002 but I haven't filed my 485 yet at that time. It got cleared in 2 weeks (10 Business days). I am not sure such things will happen again.

All I mean by the above post is you can try if you are really interested. More over the receipt notice will say it will take 365 days to process such cases.

Thanks

Wow! That would be dream come true. Thanks for your response. Do you know if I apply for 824, would my already filed 485 become void?

asmodean said:
Wow! That would be dream come true. Thanks for your response. Do you know if I apply for 824, would my already filed 485 become void?

{Yes, it becomes void after you confirm(respond) to the letter sent by INS about your decision }

asmodean said:
For Vermont, it shows as May 28th, 2002. Is that an accurate date or did they just miss updating the dates?

I have done some case archeology in the online data base. You can tell the receipt day from the number and approval is reported. I have found 115 I-824 cases so far (I am always eager to learn about new case numbers).

Here is a breakup:

RD N A %
08 11 2000 1 1
23 04 2002 14 6
28 05 2002 reported processing date
03 01 2003 31 12 39
19 05 2003 26 15 58
02 10 2003 13 4
14 01 2004 14 6 43
20 05 2004 16 4 25

(RD=receipt date according to case no (dd mm yyyy), N=total number, A=number of approved cases). As you can see, there is fraction (1/3 - 1/2) who are lucky (often approved in a few weeks). They others seem to be kept waiting for years.

rom

does the service center send you a letter asking for consent to change from AOS to CP right after they receive the I824? or is the letter sent only after they have approved the I824?

could an interview (with AC140) be scheduled at the consulate based on I824 receipt alone before I824 is approved?

betsy said:
does the service center send you a letter asking for consent to change from AOS to CP right after they receive the I824? or is the letter sent only after they have approved the I824?

{They send after they recieve I-824 and before they process/approve the I-824 }

could an interview (with AC140) be scheduled at the consulate based on I824 receipt alone before I824 is approved?

{It depends which city US consualte you belong to, for eg. Chennai consualte in India do not accept the receipt notice of I-824 }

VM1214 thanks for your reply.

so when the USCIS receives the consent letter, is AOS considered abandoned? and if so then EAD and AP are defacto invalid. right?
i would be applying to the mumbai consulate.
my service center is NSC and they are approving I824s rather quickly (processing april2004) in comparison to other service centers. so there is a chance that I824 gets approved before the interview is set up. and that would mean that I lose AOS and come time to depart for the interview I would not have an AP to come back with in case the AC140 case is declined. is this a correct scenario? or did i get the process mixed up?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am assuming your I-140 is clear by now. If your are mumbai consulate then you can go with AC-140 case and the receipt notice of I-824 is fine don't have to wait till approval.

You should be fine with the interview if you have all the related documents for the interview.

Thanks