• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Need HUGE help to immigrate

islammanjurul

Registered Users (C)
I need some real help from real people
My elder brother won DV-2005 lottery and I have full confidence that he will get the VISA too.....
My questions are:-
1)Can he file a petition for me after arriving USA,(on occasion of my immigrating to USA)(may be 6-10 months after arrival)?(NB:I am 21 years old boy)
2)If it is possible,then what is the probable time to complete the process?
IT is also mentioning that,I never visited to USA.........I want to immigrate to study higher education(I heard that,education expenses for US citizen and immigrant are very low,compare to international expenses)
Hope,I will get good and valuable response from Professionals...

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately as a Perm Resident one can't file for their sibling i.e brother or sister. My advice would be to come here as a student - if you need to immigrate using your brother's assistance, he would first have to become a US Citizen. Currently the California Service Center is processing cases filed April 1998. So...you can see that it would be a long wait.

Good Luck,

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help,wong561hb...
But I need some strong financial support,may be loans or aid.As a international student,what are the possibilities to get loan(I will repay those money after my graduation,also,I need lots of money,may be some $25,000 to $35,000-----IT IS THE FEES NEEDED TO STUDY IN A GOOD UNIVERSITY)
Can anybody help me to get those funding.....

Unfortunately as an international student that sort of financial assistance is not that common. There are colleges and universities in the US that offer assistance to foreign students, but that amount is typically nowhere near what you are looking for. You can research this online. Good Luck.

After your brother has his green-card:
don't come here on a visitors visa, overstay it, and hope that everything will work out because your brother is here. IT DOESN'T.

(As Jim Mills has pointed out in a reply to another of your posts, it will take you 18-22 years to get a green-card through your brother. The goverment will not allow you to stay in the country that long to wait for it.)

If you want to come here:
Wait for your brother to get established. Once he has a job and a place to live, try to get enrolled in some courses or a community college that is reasonably priced and gives you a student visa. Dilligently attend classes and try to get yourself some sort of qualification here. Once you have a degree, you can get a 1 year work authorization for 'practical training'. While you study and during your practical training, try to make contacts with employers who can help you to get your papers.

Alternatively, you can study in your home country, get a 4 year degree, and come here on a work-visa (H1b). This allows you to work for up to 6 years during which time you can try to get your own green card through an employer interested in hiring you. (98% of posts on this forum are from people who are going this way).

This is the way many people have gone, it is the legal way, it is the only way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks wong561hb and hadron for your quick and useful replies.....
BUT hadron, I have some questions to ask....
in the second line you wrote"don't come here on a visitors visa,overstay it...."what does it mean by overstay,but not visitor visa???
another question...what are the main criteria for my brother's establishment
you are saying, i mean how long it shall need???
Can you please give me some detail information for getting h1b visa which you mentioned??
Thanking you again..... :)

> "don't come here on a visitors visa,overstay it...."

What I mean is the following. A lot of folks who have brothers and sisters with green-cards in the US come here on visitors visas and hope to be able to follow their siblings eventually. In the old days (1970s) this was possible. If you hung around long enough, usually some company or marriage would get you the green-card. IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT ANYMORE.

You are certainly welcome to come here on a visitors visa and stay as long as the border patrol officer stamps into your passport. If he gives you 3 months, stay for 3 months, if by your lucky fortunes he gives you 6 months, feel free to stay for 6.
BUT: don't work, don't study, don't apply for extensions, don't steal or get into trouble in any other way.

> what does it mean by overstay,but not visitor visa???

You misunderstood me. I wanted to say: Come here, on any visa, but don't stay a single day longer than the visa allows you to. And don't do anything the visa doesn't allow you to do:

visitors visa (B2) --> you are allowed to visit, no work, no studies
student visa (F1) --> you are allowed to study, no work
exchange visitor(J1) --> you are allowed to do whatever the visa says. study, internship, camp counselor, sometimes even work.
work visa (H1b) --> you are allowed to work, but only for the employer that sponsored your visa.

> what are the main criteria for my brother's establishment

This was just as a matter of practicality. After your brother gets his green-card and comes here, it will take him a while to find a job, an apartment and the like.

And how to get H1b visa: You need a 4 year college degree (or equivalent meaning 3 years+experience) and an employer in the US who wants to hire you for a job that requires such a college degree. They file the paperwork and you get your visa. But as I said, you need a college degree first. Most of the people that come on this visa are in the information technology sector, but also accountants, engineers and doctors.