Need Help

lmperi1

Hi All,

I am about to complete 5 years of permanent residency and am going to start citizenship process. I have question for you guru's.

About 10 years ago I was arrested by police in a mistaken identity case. They immidiately released me (within 10 minutes of arrest) realizing that I was the wrong guy. I have letter from Chief of Police apologizing for the incident and addressing to whomsoever that this incident should not be held against me.

I am wondering if a letter like this is good enough to support my citizenship application, as I am going to answer in my N400 app that I was arrested.

Per my lawyer its good enough.

Thanks,
MP

You will be fine!!!

You were not charged... you will be ok presenting the letter in my opinion...

Thanks...

Thanks guys for your responses. I am getting a clean code of conduct certificate from town's police station as a another supporting document.

One more question regarding the processing. If citizenship application is rejected for some reason....is it possible for one to renew the greencard and be a permanent resident ?

Thanks,
MP

lmperi1 said:
If citizenship application is rejected for some reason....is it possible for one to renew the greencard and be a permanent resident ?

You will continue to remain a US Permanent Resident and will also be able to renew your green card in the future even if your citizenship application gets denied, but it would depend entirely upon the reason of your CZ application's denial. Because if you CZ application is denied due to your involvement in crime (of course, only if crime raises to a level of deportation), or if a fraud will be detected in your case either in your CZ application or in your green card application that you filed previously, then your green card will be taken away. Be noted: It won't matter whether you agree/believe it or not about finding of fraud; instead what govt. finds in your record based upon their conclusion/determination would only be matter. In that situation, not only your Permanent Residency would be revoked, but also you will be deported. Just because USCIS had granted you LPR previously by approving your application last time around, that doesn't mean that they cannot revoke your LPR if they find that they did mistake last time. I'm not saying that this would be the case in your situation, but I'm just telling you some extra information more than you asked in context of Naturalization application.

Thanks...

Thanks for the information. I am not worried about my application, but was just wondering as what would be the impact on greencard if citizenship is rejected for some reason.