Need help - Wrong degree program in new Reinstated I20

Monashah

Registered Users (C)
My friend study his MS in Bioinformatics from one of the vergina university on F1 Visa.
He Started his study in August 2009.

The original I-20 has the following information about the study (other than mentioned below all the information are correct in new I20):
Page 1:
Section 5 : "The student named above has been accepted for a full course of study at this school, majoring in BioInformatics (New).."
Page 3:
Primary Major: 26.1103 BioInformatics (New)

As this is his last semester and he has only 4 credit left, her school's International Student Service Department ask him to apply for new I-20

The new I-20 has following information:
Page 1:
Section 5: "The student named above has been accepted for a full course of study at this school, majoring in BioMetrics.."
Page 3:
Primary Major: 26.1101 BioMetrics

When he went to receive his new I-20 from the International Student Service he informed the mistake in his new I20.
he got a response that the code that the school provided to SEVIS for BioInformatics is correct as per the State regulation but differ at SEVIS. He was also told that on the original I20 the university made the mistake about the code and he got the correct degree detail.

he denied to sign the I20 as he found that mistake in the I20. he was asked to sign it and get it done or else he would be deported from the country.

We would like to know what can he do in this scenario

This happened to my sister, and what my school's advisor said was that the course written on the I-20 isn't a huge issue. In her case, her major was pre-pharmacy, but my school's code was Chemistry. At the embassy, she was told to say that she is going to major chemistry in hopes of going to pharmacy school, but in reality as a student she will be studying pre-pharmacy if that makes sense. The I-20codes don't have much to do with the student's major in the university.