Need Help with Medical

second stage

Registered Users (C)
Folks,

Im from San Jose, calif and my PD is almost current.
 I need to get my Medical done and need ur recommendation for a doctor in
 the BAY(san-francisco/san jose/sunnyvale) area.
 Please also post ur experiences with the Doc, the medical tests taken
 and the fee. It would be helpful for other folks from the BAY area.
 THanks!!!

No Title

1. Get the immunization shots from Health Dept, not from your doctor. This will save you some money, if you are paying the fees.
2. If you or your depedents already had chicken pox, say it to the doctor to avoid varicella shots.
3. Try to negotiate with your doctor to pay the fees with your insurance, if you have to pay the fees on your own.
4. If you ever had BCG immunization, you will most likely show postive TB skin test. Tell your doctor that you had BCG vaccine.

No Title

Hey, Michael,

You seem to be very knowledgeable about medical procedure. Would
you like to write something for future CSC new comers? I will
post whatever you write to the webpage. Thanks.

ciba

No Title

Hello, Ciba. I learned quite a bit from you and other guys/guls on this discussion board. I sure appreciate the time you spend helping us. And I\'d be more than happy to contribute my bit by sharing my experience and knowledge about medical examination. I\'ll write a paragraph or so about the medical exams this evening.
   Michael

No Title

Michael, Ciba:
I downloaded a list of the immunization shots required from my attorney\'s web page.
There are 11 shots. I went to my medical center and was told that I don\'t really need so many of them. They can give me the shots with my insurance but they require something from the immigration indicate which shot is necessary.
I have not received the medical form from my attorney yet.
According to your experience, could you pls give me a list of shots that is really required. ( I lost all my immunization record althrough I remember that I had most of them done when I was a child)
Thanks

No Title

Hi michael,

I will post your message later tonight. Thanks for writing.

ciba

No Title

YWang, only an INS approved doctor is authorized to determine which type of immunization you need. When you visit an INS approved doctor, she/he will advise you what vaccine you need to take. If you really want to have some immunization done ahead of time, the only one you will need for sure is the varicella vaccine if you don\'t have record and if you never had chicken pox. The varicella vaccine was initially developed in Japan in 1972 and must be administered twice for adults in 4 - 6 weeks interval (adult dosage). The irony is that this vaccine is only 85%-90% effective, that is, it may help 9 people out of 10 to avoid having chicken pox. For further information, please see my posting "tips on medical exam" in this thread.

No Title

Doctor recommended

We were very happy with Dr. \'Doung Luk\'.
His office is located in San Jose. His
price is very reasonable in Bay area, and
service is good too.

-Zack

No Title

Medical exam is a one time procedure. You take it once and you\'re done. If it\'s youself pay the expanse (like me), just go for an inepansive one. I would suggest Dr. Albert A Gomes in Alum Rock. 408-729-5800. $65 for adult and $40 for kid. The expanse is for med test only and NO any vaccine or TB test or X-ray.

Two vaccine, MMR (a bit pain) and Td, are must. Also skin test is required. You can do them by your family doctor. You must have the yellow card for the records. Varicella is only to be verified during med test. For TB, I would suggest you go directly take X-ray (just in his clinic, $30) to save your time if you came from Asia. None of my Asian friends passed the skin test but all passed the X-ray. If you think your lungs are normal, you won\'t have problem.

You also need to take blood test for HIV and hepatitis. It\'s not like fat or cholestral test. You can do it after a meal.

You should not wait too long in that clinic. You have to go there twice, take the test and pick up the result. Prepare a whole afternoon for it.

No Title

Yup. Went to Dr Gomez too. I would recomend him too. Very efficient. His office has the whole immigration checkup procedure in place. He was the least expensive amongst those I called. Call ahead, they give you a discount if you do. The pain is the looong wait if you showup in the afternoon. It was less crowded when i went to pick up the results in the mornings though.
Their lab is closed for lunch 12:30 - 2:00 pm. so, plan accordingly.