Need Help with Landing

helpneonica

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,
I have some questions regarding Landing in Canada, as I have to land by road(from Seattle to Vancouver) before 05/13/03 and plan to return by road after completing the required formalities:

1)What all required necessary things I need to do after landing to preserve my immigration Status in Canada for next 3 years.( as per the new law even if I return to US) like applying for Drivers Licence, Social Security or everything will be told to me by Immigration Officer.?? How much time it will take to do all required necessary things.

2)What documents, etc do I need to carry: like Financial Statement from Bank, Photo, Landing Papers, All Documents needed to return to US( I have an Advance Parole)..Anything else??

3)Should I use a Rental Car as advised in these discussions.

Please help as I my landing Expiry date is very near...

Thanks
Sunil

1)I would say apply for Driver's Licence, SIN no., Health Card though it will become active after 3 months but you can apply for it now. Open a bank account in Canada. Use your friends or relative address everywhere because lot of your stuff will come in mail to you and may take 3-4 weeks to come in mail.
2) Take cashier check from US account, that will show the Canadian authorites that you are serious about moving. If you want you can bring it back and deposit it back in US account.
3) When you apply for Canadian licence, they will take your US licence. You can come back and get a duplicate US licence very easily.
Everything should take max 3-4 days. For health card, you will need proof of residence, so open a bank account or apply for Driver licence before applying for health card.

“3) When you apply for Canadian license, they will take your US license. You can come back and get a duplicate US license very easily”

I don’t think it is correct, when you surrender your US Driving license in Canada and get Canada DL in exchange they send your DL to US DMV or MVA. Then how one can get US duplicate license? Because you have to give the reason for getting a duplicate DL in US, in many states you have to report it to police that you lost the driving license.
I have also read in many postings that one cannot keep both US and Canada license and it is illegal but nobody has provided any link to any US or Canada site that says it is illegal to have Canada DL and US.
I have read Ontario Driving license book nothing is mentioned in that book that one cannot keep US and Canada Ontario license.
I have read NJ, MD Driving license books from DMV in US and nothing is written that you can not keep Canada DL, you need to get license of particular state in US if you are residing and have to drive in US and DL in US is your ID that is asked every where in US.
I hope you can get beginners license in Canada with out giving up your US license, in Ontario you can show your Indian Driving license and can get credit for that. In US no credit for your home country driving license.
Murcurt6 and Vault may shed more light on this as both are in Canada and Vault also working in US and Canada.

I live in GA and I also know a couple of my friends who also did the same. When we took the Ontario licence, if you surrender US licence you get full Ontario driver licence without any road test or wait. Then I went back to GA licence office and they issued me a new one for 5 $ on the ground of lost licence. No questions asked.

OK!! If one has held a US drivers license fro 3 years then upon surrendering your US license you will be issued a full "G" license in Canada without taking a road/written test.

Keep in mind that when one surrenders their US license to obtain a Canadian License, then head back to the US and get a duplicate license is FRAUD . If one gets caught and gets arrested for this violation, then they can pretty much forget about US Immigration and Canadian Immigration!! This is considered document fraud!!

Thats all I have to say!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have also read in many postings that one cannot keep both US and Canada license and it is illegal but nobody has provided any link to any US or Canada site that says it is illegal to have Canada DL and US.
I have read Ontario Driving license book nothing is mentioned in that book that one cannot keep US and Canada Ontario license.
I have read NJ, MD Driving license books from DMV in US and nothing is written that you can not keep Canada DL, you need to get license of particular state in US if you are residing and have to drive in US and DL in US is your ID that is asked every where in US
Vault I READ that it is a FRAUD to keep both US DL and Ontario DL can you give any link to the law of US DMV or Canada Driving license department becase many have posted the same but no body provided the link to law of US or Canada, so that one can read the law or base of these statements, it will help others.
regards

Ray, Any comments on this?

Originally posted by saathia
VAULT
Please provide the link to US DMV law or Ontario Canada law

There is no link!! One has to use commonsence on issues like these. Let me ask you something....

Say you are living in FLORIDA now, and you have a Florida DL. Your company transfers you, or you find a new job and move to ILLINOIS. You will have to surrender your FLORIDA DL to obtain a IL DL. Once you do this, are you gonna go back to FL and get a duplicate DL?

I surrendered my Virginia License when I landed here. i dont remember if I asked them if I could keep it. But If I didnt surrender I would have to go thru all the Stages and Driving tests in Ontario, which is a very long affair. But when I gave them the US license I got the Ontario license in a few minutes....:)

Originally posted by vault
OK!! If one has held a US drivers license fro 3 years then upon surrendering your US license you will be issued a full "G" license in Canada without taking a road/written test.

Keep in mind that when one surrenders their US license to obtain a Canadian License, then head back to the US and get a duplicate license is FRAUD . If one gets caught and gets arrested for this violation, then they can pretty much forget about US Immigration and Canadian Immigration!! This is considered document fraud!!

Thats all I have to say!!

vault -

how would the DL office in canada know that you have held the US DL for 3 years, to give a full "G" class license? say for instance, i have a IL state license and changed the mailing address and got a new DL re-issued with my new address on it. the issue date will be different this time and it does not record the "DL first issue date" or anything? how do i prove that i had a US DL for more than 3 years, although i have more than 5 years of driving exp. in the US (both OH, IL combined). i am just curious to know. please let me know, thanks.

This was my experience.

I exchanged my MI license to Ontario licence. The MTO wanted me to have MI State to fax ON MTO a copy of my driving record. It cost me USD 6.55. The record indicated my driving history and the time period I was licensed in MI. All ON MTO wanted to know was if I had a US license for more than 2 years since I applied for a full G licence.

After confirming that ON MTO has received my fax, I then visited their office to obtain the licence. In the case of my wife, they did not ask for any fax. However, they typed up her MI license number on their computer and were able to obtain her MI records and they issued her the G licence based off that.

My inference...at least MI and ON have some form of commonized database.

Thats probably how you can prove your US driving record. Remember, the provincial MTOs don't have to prove anything. On the other hand, it is up to you to prove your records and different provinces may have different methods allowing you to do so.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by cnatar02
vault -

how would the DL office in canada know that you have held the US DL for 3 years, to give a full "G" class license? say for instance, i have a IL state license and changed the mailing address and got a new DL re-issued with my new address on it. the issue date will be different this time and it does not record the "DL first issue date" or anything? how do i prove that i had a US DL for more than 3 years, although i have more than 5 years of driving exp. in the US (both OH, IL combined). i am just curious to know. please let me know, thanks.

cnatar02,

When I got my DL(1) first it was valid only for 2 or 3 years, and
before the expiry of my DL I was mailed in a NEW DL(2) by
DMV (And remember I still have the expired DL(1) with me).

Later after a year or so I moved to a different state where I turned in my current DL(2) and got the NEW DL(3).

So should I be in your situation, I would definitely use the
expired DL(1) to prove first date of issue.

Ofcourse, every state in US has its own rules/regulations at DMV's.

Hope this helps you.

Vijay :)

every time i went in for renewing my license, in both OH & IL, they asked me to surrender my old license before they issued a new one. so i don't have any of my old licenses with me. i am ready to pay a fee to get a driving record from both OH & IL, if they ask me to. but what is the procedure to get e driving record from OH & IL or from any state? would the canadian DMV will get the record and i need to pay them or is it something like the FBI record that i need to get from the US and submit with the canadian DMV? please let me know, thanks.

Originally posted by cnatar02
every time i went in for renewing my license, in both OH & IL, they asked me to surrender my old license before they issued a new one. so i don't have any of my old licenses with me. i am ready to pay a fee to get a driving record from both OH & IL, if they ask me to. but what is the procedure to get e driving record from OH & IL or from any state? would the canadian DMV will get the record and i need to pay them or is it something like the FBI record that i need to get from the US and submit with the canadian DMV? please let me know, thanks.

You should be able to walk into OHIO and IL DMV and ask them for your Driving record. I know in IL, they ask you if it is for Insurance or employment purposes. You can say either one. I think IL charges you $6 (this was 6 years back). They will give you a printout then and there. I know fer sure that the IL DL will show the initial DL issue date. I don;t know how OHIO DMV functions.

dimple2001 -

i will check their website to get the information, thanks.

vault -

i am currently in india and will be landing from india to canada. so i will not be able to go to IL/OH DMV to get the driving record in person.

can a friend of mine go and get it? or can i request it to be sent by postal mail to my friend's US address? if anyone of you know of something like that, please do let me know, thanks.