Need help with item# 20 in DS-230 Part 1

nsr

Registered Users (C)
Hi Friends,

I am struggling with what city/town to mention in item #20 of DS-230 Part 1. Below is my situation. Can someone advise me on what city to mention in there? Thanks in advance. I know it’s a little confusing situation but I am wondering if someone happened to have experienced such a scenario.

My Situation:

I work for a consulting firm out of their Chicago office. However I live in Dallas, Texas due to my wife’s education and receive all my mails, including paychecks and tax documents such as w2s at this address.

As my nature of job generally requires weekly travel to different locations depending on which client we provide services for, my company really doesn't care where I live. Although my W2 contains Texas address, I am required to pay state tax for all the states that I work in, during the year. This includes Illinois, if I end up working here during the year.

But for the purpose of my I-140 application I have used some address in Chicago as my lawyer thinks it is necessary. Now, I am kind of confused as to which city/town should I be reporting as my current address I item# 20.

1. Can I specify both the cities with same from and to dates? or
2. Am I required to specify Chicago only, as it is on my I-140 application? or
3. Can I specify Dallas on wife's application (as she was going to school in Dallas until three months back) and Chicago on my application for the same from and to dates?

Originally posted by nsr
Hi Friends,

I am struggling with what city/town to mention in item #20 of DS-230 Part 1. Below is my situation. Can someone advise me on what city to mention in there? Thanks in advance. I know it’s a little confusing situation but I am wondering if someone happened to have experienced such a scenario.

My Situation:

I work for a consulting firm out of their Chicago office. However I live in Dallas, Texas due to my wife’s education and receive all my mails, including paychecks and tax documents such as w2s at this address.

As my nature of job generally requires weekly travel to different locations depending on which client we provide services for, my company really doesn't care where I live. Although my W2 contains Texas address, I am required to pay state tax for all the states that I work in, during the year. This includes Illinois, if I end up working here during the year.

But for the purpose of my I-140 application I have used some address in Chicago as my lawyer thinks it is necessary. Now, I am kind of confused as to which city/town should I be reporting as my current address I item# 20.

{For the purpose of Item # 20 in DS 230 Part I, your address
in Texas would have been the logical choice, however your
mention of some address in Chicago is confusing.

Did you say that some address in Chicago is your permanent
address? }

1. Can I specify both the cities with same from and to dates? or

{It will be confusing if you specify the same cities and show
the same time period. }
2. Am I required to specify Chicago only, as it is on my I-140 application? or
3. Can I specify Dallas on wife's application (as she was going to school in Dallas until three months back) and Chicago on my application for the same from and to dates?

It is difficult to say with certainity which address you should
write as your current address. Normally in these kinds of
situations the companies mention in the LC that the work
locations are 'un-specified locations'.

Because your company is located in IL , may be your company
feels that you need to show an address in that state.

Discuss this with your attorney.

{Just to give some insight.

In my case my company was based in Colorado. So they
filed the case at Nebraska Service Center. The LC clearly
stated the work locations are 'un-speficied'. I was living
in CA and travelling to different states on work. However
in the DS 230 forms I gave my CA address }

Raju

Thanks for your thoughts Raju.

I think my LC does specify the location as Chicago. Some address in Chicago is a friend's address and that's the one used to file my I-140 application. And also this is the address I am planning to use to complete item# 10, 11, 13 of DS-230 Part 1. So, for the purpose of this process it may be permanent address? In this case, does it make sense to use Chicago consistently everywhere for that duration? But my only concern is all paychecks will have Texas address when I take them for interview. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

nsr,

Here is what my situation was and what I have done, if this helps.

My company is in Michigan and live in Dallas and currently work for them locally in texas since last one year. However, 2 years ago when they filed my LC, I was working in Michigan but travelling every week back and forth. and my company kept my Michigan address in W'2 as they had not filed a permission for their employee to work in Texas, but I was livin gin texas and working in Michigan.

Now, since last one year I have a project in Texas and they filed permission with Labor Dept to have their employees work in Texas (I guess you can file for whole US or separate states). When they filed my I-140 I told them to give my Texas address as permanent address and now when I filled my DS-230 I gave my Texas address from the beginning as my home address was always Dallas. My W'2s for last 2.5 years show diffrent addresses, most recents have Dallas address and previous ones have Michigan address.

I don;t know if this helps in evaluating your situation.

Victor, Thanks for sharing your experience. Your situaton is more or less like mine. But is your GC aproved yet or still pending? Because, I am trying to figure out if we are going to run into issues by using different addresses on different documents?

nsr

My GC is not approved yet. But I will find out in couple of months. MY understanding is that you can live anywhere and use other address for correspondence purposes. However, in permanent address column use only that address that you are going to use as your home address.

In your case, on paychecks, if question arrises, which I dont' think would be, you can say that since your wife was living there all your paycheck where going into your home address at Dallas.

I will send you PM tomorrow, check it.