Need help with filling out a couple of N400 questions

GhostRider

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I need your assistance with a couple of questions:

Part 7, question C. asks:

"List bellow of the trips of 24 hours or more that you have taken outside of the United States since becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident. Begin with your most recent trip. If you need more space, use a separate sheet(s) of paper"

I have a couple of problems with this question:

1. My wife and I went on a home-visiting trip to our country. Somehow, we have an exit stamp from that country (and a re-entry stamp at JFK), but don't have an entry stamp to that country. I don't know how that happened, but the bottom line is: I don't know the exact date we left the U.S... It was a week-long trip, but I don't remember the exact date. I'm trying to find out through the interior ministry of my home country to see if they can provide me with the entry date, but if they can't, what should I do?

2. In 2003, we went out on a Caribbean cruise that left from and returned to San Juan Puerto Rico. Since the latter is a U.S. territory, we never got stamped. However, during the cruise, we obviously visited other countries (islands), but never needed our passport. We must have visited 4-5 different foreign territories during that week-long cruise, but I simply don't have any stamps to prove that. Should I mentioned the trip? Maybe attach a separate sheet explaining the circumstances? Do IOs inspect each and every stamp in the passport to cross-check against the N400?

Part 8, question A. asks:

"How many times have you been married (including annulled marriages)? [ ] If you have never been married, go to Part 9."

My N400 application is marriage based. My marriage to my wife is my first and only one (and vice versa for her) - both of us have never been married before. Does the question "How many times have you been married", means INCLUDING current marriages, or EXCLUDING current marriages, and asks about previous ones? In other words, should I mark "1" or "0" in the number of marriages box???

Part 10., Section B - "Affiliations", question 8a./b. asks:

"Have you ever been a member of or associated with any organization, association, fund foundation, party, club, society or similar group in the United States or in any other place?"

My wife and I participate at a local ANNUAL walk, run, bike charity event that is organized by a cancer research center part of our city's hospital. It requires forming a participating team with donating sponsors (anyone who you know may donate money and "sponsor" you) - all proceeds go to cancer research. We have done it 3 years in a raw now, but never actually been "official members". It's just an event we take part in. Would this be an applicable entity that needs to be or should be mentioned?

TIA :)

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Exact time lines for out of country visits: I would suggest that you put down dates that are accurate as far as memory serves (for cases where you are missing date stamps, etc.), and be candid about this at your interview. In my case, I did not remember the exact dates for a visit to Canada, and the interviewer simply said "that's alright...don't bother".

2. I would guess you would answer "1" for number of marriages, since the only available alternative of "never been married" obviously does not apply to either of you :)

3. I wrote down "IEEE" in my application and was just asked in the passing to confirm it. There was really no big deal. I suppose membership of certain political or ideological organizations is what they really concern themselves with. So, do mention your affiliation with the annual walk, and don't worry about it. The only thing that can happen is that you might get an extra pat in the back for demonstrating your civic concern :)

All the very best.

1. Make your best estimate - you're not going to be interrogated about a 1 week trip. Don't worry, lots of people have been in this position before, and its never been a big deal. Missing stamps are common.

2. The correct answer is "1".

3. USCIS are looking for membership of terrorist/extremist groups, communists, nazis, etc. They are not particularly interested in which book clubs, professional societies or charitable groups that you may belong to. There is no harm done by including such information, but again, its not likely to cause much discussion during interview.