• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Need Help with AOS Procedure

showtime

Registered Users (C)
So I'm trying to start my AOS process. But I don't know what to do first.

I understand that for AOS, I'm dealing with USCIS and not the KCC. And according to the instruction in 08 NL, from what I understand, I don't have to send back the DSP122 and DS230 etc.to KCC if I'm doing aos.

But then how do I start my aos process? Do I pay the Diversity Visa fee first? Is that going to initiate aos procedure with USCIS?:confused:

In the aos instruction for DV08, it only says to take the NL to the nearest USCIS office. My problem is, I might not be able to do that anytime soon.

I really want to start my process ASAP...and I want to do it right.

I have read some stuff about aos on this forum, but I'm still not quite sure about how to initiate aos process and when to send which form.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me. And I think I'm not the only one having this same question:p :eek:

Thanks guys.

That is what I did

I understand that for AOS, I'm dealing with USCIS and not the KCC. And according to the instruction in 08 NL, from what I understand, I don't have to send back the DSP122 and DS230 etc.to KCC if I'm doing aos.
I send them back to KCC indicating BSIC along with 2 passport photo and later got an answer that KCC is done with my case and all questions I might have I should address to USCIS.

Do I pay the Diversity Visa fee first? Is that going to initiate aos procedure with USCIS?:confused:
In 2nd letter KCC remind me about Diversity Visa fee so I send check to State Dep along with filed slip and prepaid envelope labeled with my address. I got back that slip with red stamped, so one calls it receipt. You will have to present such ORIGINAL receipt at USCIS interview later. BTW DV fee does not initiate AOS.

In the aos instruction for DV08, it only says to take the NL to the nearest USCIS office. My problem is, I might not be able to do that anytime soon.

I really want to start my process ASAP...and I want to do it right.
Do you familiar Visa Bulletin? See if your CN is lower than your region number in section "B" - that means it’s current (if not, you better wait new Bulletin). You need to get medical examination. Go to
Finding A Designated Civil Surgeon in Your Area

For the most current list of civil surgeons in your area, please check our Civil Surgeons Locator, or call the National Customer Service Center at 1 (800) 375-5283. After you have selected English or Spanish as your language of choice for the message, choose #2 for medical examinations from the list of six automated options. You will be asked to key in your zip code to help determine the list of designated civil surgeons close to you. Have pencil and paper ready to record the names of the civil surgeons provided.
www.uscis.gov - I could not find right link, try yourself :) BTW civil surgeon will accept cash or money order or ONLY CACH - be warned ;-) Medical examination form good for one year and keep/send it in sealed envelop - if you open that envelop your self - medical examination will be rejected!
Use "www.uscis.gov"]www.uscis.gov[/URL] to download I-485 (h: DV winner your CN) and G-325A forms, print and fill all of them (G-395C has 4 copies - USCIS need all 4).

SO you have I-485, G-325A, I-693(med.ex. (Surgeon should give you a copy for your records - check if TB skin is checked DONE - if not see the doctor again and get skin check mark DONE!!!!!! Xray result is not enough for USCIS).
Write check for I-485+fingerprint fee or make money order payable to USCIS.
Put 2 passport size photo.
Make notarized copy/translation to English of your Birthday Certificate, School and Advanced Education. Get letter from work indicating salary and/or bank statement of your account(s). Make copy of all your I-94 both sides, any INS status letters, first page of passport (and photo page in passport), visa stamp in passport.
You write a cover letter free style and list of enclosed documents

Send it all to Chicago when your CN is current and wait

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Entermate!

ok then...so basically, for aos, you really don't send anything to USCIS until my number becomes current, is that correct? So for right now, I can pay the dv fee to department of state, and then just start collecting and preparing all the necessary documents before my number becomes current, right?

or did I misunderstand something...?

Thank you Entermate!

ok then...so basically, for aos, you really don't send anything to USCIS until my number becomes current, is that correct? So for right now, I can pay the dv fee to department of state, and then just start collecting and preparing all the necessary documents before my number becomes current, right?

or did I misunderstand something...?
Well - yes -you understand right: DV fee payment to State is absolutely required and you have to present receipt @ the interview, but if you add its copy (COPY!) into AOS package it will not harm.

And there were errors with form numbers (sorry) in my previous post - I corrected it

I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (check fee amount, last was $325 plus $70 for fingerprints=$395)
G-325A, Biographic Information (submit all four copy pages)
I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status (call several civil surgeons, their fees wary $190 - 450 :) and depend on immunization records availability)

Thank you Researcher29.

I have been reading aos threads on this forum, well...to some extent. I have actually read your experience and some other aos experiences over and over. They were quite helpful, but since I had so little background knowledge on this topic(visa process etc.)everything seemed so foggy to me. So I really wanted to make sure that I understand what to do before I do somthing wrong.
Now that I understand more about how it works, I think I can understand other aos threads better now. Thank you so much you guys;D