Need Help, Pls!

OhioWaiter^

Registered Users (C)
Hi. I just wanted to know if there are some people here who have applied their initial EAD at NSC but renewed at the local INS office.

I've read in the EAD form that you should apply/renew to the office where your application is pending. I wanted to apply at the local office in Cincinatti since I heard that they work a lot faster than NSC. Thou, I am not sure if the local office will just return my application since the original EAD was applied at NSC.

I appreciate your response, guys.

My current EAD will expire on 11/05/2002. I live in Columbus, OH. Thinking that local INS will take less time to process EAD renewal application, I applied
for my EAD renewal at INS, Cincinnati office on 16th September(received by INS via FedEx).
I read some of the posting here that if you apply more than 45 or so days before your
current EAD expiration date local INS (specially Cincinnati) may return your application.
That's why I did not apply earlier.
As of today, I haven't received any response(receipt notice).
My $120.00 personal check was cashed on 10/01/2002.
I called INS Cincinnati office on the morning of 10/21/2002 inquiring about my application status.
IIO took my personal info(A number, Name, DOB etc) and told me she would call me back with the info.
She called me in the afternoon and told me that she could not find any info regarding my application.
I personally went to Cincinnati office next day and showed my FedEx receipt, Photo copy of personal check and requested the IIO in the window to find my info.
She first told me she can't help me since she had no information with her and suggested that I wait for the appointment letter form INS Columbus. She also told me it was too early for me to inquire about my case.
As I literally begged her to find some kind of info about my submission of the application,
she looked through the papers in front of her (just underneath of her left palm) and in less than two minutes found that INS Cincinnati office forwarded my application to INS Columbus office on 09/30/2002.

There is no information officer at INS Columbus, and there is no phone line to get your information from INS Columbus office.
Still I'm planning to go to INS Columbus office next Tuesday (10/29/2002).
If I won't be able to get any help from INS Columbus office on that day, I am planning to send another application by FedEx (with another $120.00) to Nebraska Service Center just to be on the safe side.

COLOHIO

I am sorry to hear about what you went through. That is weird considering that they cashed your check. I guess to be sure, I will just apply at NSC.

If only we could apply at both centers at the same time. :D
Good luck and hopefully they'll be able to find out what went wrong with your application.

Do give us an update upon getting some answers from either NSC or the local office.

I had no problem

I guess I was lucky, I went and renewed my EAD at my local INS office 5 days before the original Nebraska one expired.... They gave us our EADs the same day, no problem.. Funny that the same day Nebraska approved our i-485s!!! so I wasted $240.00 ... But I didn't complain...
Good luck...!!!

FOR COLOHIO

I would suggest you go down to the local INS Office and inquire with them. They are pretty helpful.
I needed my AP urgently for travel to India. I had applied to Cincin office and they sent it to the INS Col office. I went there personally and the IIO told me to collect the AP after one week.
I would suggest you to go tommorrow, probably after 1:00 as there is not much rush and since it is friday they are in pretty good mood.
Its just my experience, hope it works for you too.

Last edited by a moderator:
EAD REQTS.

hi,
do i need to submit the original ead to NSC when applying for a renewal? could you tell me what documents are needed? i only know that i need the form, check and a copy of the 485 receipt.

i fear that if i submit the original id to nsc then re-apply at local ins (if in case nsc takes too long to process), the local ins might ask for the original id during the interview, then i wont have anything to give.

thanks.

EAD Question for COLOHIO

Hi, COLOHIO,

I am in the same boat.

I sent out EAD application to Cincinnati on Sept. 23 and they cashed my check on Oct. 7th. I went to Columbus INS office on Oct 23, Wendsday (I know that they issue EAD only on Wendsday) to ask what is going on with my case and they asked me to come again on Friday or Monday since they only take questions on Monday and Friday (between 8:00 to 11:00 AM). I went again this mornig with my I-485 receipt. They are kind to help me see if my application has been forwarded, but they could not find it. They suggested me to go the Cincinnati or write them to ask. Thanks you for sharing experiences with Cincinnati.

By the way, what number did you use call to Cincinnati INS? I could not find a correct number.

I am also supprised that your mail was forwarded by Cincinnati in half a month, but mine has not for one month. Could you also please share your experience with Colunbus INS after you go there, if any?

Thanks a lot

Finally got EAD from Columbus

Thanks to qier, OhioWaiter^, desi_gc for providing valuable suggestions and information.
After I post my last posting, I got a call from the IIO with whom I talked monday and who informed me that she could not find my application at Cincinnati. This time (on Thursday afternoon) she informed me that they forwarded my application to Columbus. She is not the same person whom I talked to when I visited Cincinnati on Tuesday. I didn't mention that I was already there in Cincinnati and knew this fact. I just thanked her for helping me out and tracking my application.

Anyway, as some of you suggested, I went to INS, Columbus office this morning at 8:00.
Talked to the (when my turn came; there was only one more person ahead of me) IIO ( he was very friendly ,contrary to the IIO in Cincinnati whom I met in person. Cincinnati is other side of the Ohio river just accross from Kentuky. So people live and work there do get influenced by Redneck culture?), he took my current EAD and came back after five minutes and asked me if I could come after 1:00 p.m.
I went back around 1:30 and came out in less than 20 minutes with a renewed EAD. :)

Good luck to you all for EAD and specially for I-485 approval.
Thanks again.

P.S. Number to call INS, Cincinnati: (513) 684-2934
Out of my 5/6 calls in this number only one time I was able to talked to an IIO. All other times an attendant received the phone (as usual, she is very rude) and transfered me INS national Information Line (from where I could not get any help since I didn't have a receipt number of a pending EAD application).

Last edited by a moderator:
OhioWaiter

Buddy,

I'm positive that you should apply @ NSC. But if you are not approved before the expiry of your EAD you may go and ask at local INS.

But I'm not sure about Cincinati or Colombus.

The documents you need for applying are. completed I 765 form,
I 485 receipt copy, I 94 copy back and forth, EAD card copy back and forth (you should never send original) Passport photo page copy, Driver License copy, 2 INS Photos, check for $120.00.

If you still have the EAD approval notice in which the card has come to you, tear off the address portion and attach with in.

When you apply @ NSC you must apply within 90 days period of expiry of you current one( I suggest earliest is best).:eek:

Thnks COLOHIO for sharing your information

and Experience. I followed in your footsteps and today got scheduled for my EAD renewal at Columbus office on 5th November'02. My case is similar to yours. Thanks for the info. Good luck with your 485 approval.

koinahi