Need help on my case situation regarding my lawyer

qiuchan

Registered Users (C)
Hi, this is a question regarding my lawyer.
My current company (A) hired a lawyer to process my green card application through labor certification. Neither company A, nor me has any ENGAGEMENT letter with the lawyer.
Now my I-140 has been approved and my I-485 passed 180 days, and I got a new offer from company B. According to AC21 rule, I can transfer to company B.
My question is:
1. Should I hire my lawyer by myself from now on? I contacted my lawyer and he said he is happy to serve me, but ask me to sign an engagement letter.
2. Should I just get all my application materials from my lawyer (I am not sure if he is going to give to me.) and handle by myself from now on? I am thinking there is not much a lawyer call do at this I-485 waiting step, why still paying him? Am I right?
3. If I ask for my application materials from him, is it his right not to give to me?
3. All my contact address in INS is my lawyer's office. How could I change the contact address in INS if I decided to walk away from my lawyer?
Your suggestions are highly appreciated.
Thanks.

dont worry about docs

try getting copy of all the docs.

In the worst case you can get ur docs by using FOIA

Thanks,
Rama

quichan,
If you decide to change the lawyer - just get a good one and sign the G28 forms and they'll will get all the papers(infact your entire file) transferred in about a week's time.
Regarding your contemplating whether to use an attorney or not - if I were you, I'd pick one - for the simple reason that, you might never know what kind of weird RFEs come up these days and it always is better to have a good attorney and being ambigous of the whole issue.
GoodLuck!

I am in the same boat.

If I decide to go with my current lawyer, how much money will he usually ask to keep representing me?

Depends on the situation. I hired a lawyer who had a package deal for Employment Based I-485s. LC,I-140,I-485 all included. My case was routine, so he was mainly a form filler. You can often negotiate the rate. In some cases it's better to ask for total package. Feel free to compare prices, but make sure you get a good lawyer.

rgds.
sadiq