NEED help N400 wait and GC renewal…

1AurCitizen

Registered Users (C)
I’m in a unique situation… seeking an opinion. Posted this on the Wash-DO tracker… could some in this Thread here able to respond.

QUESTION:
My GC is expiring Jan-end 2008. When I applied for N400, I expected to be a Citizen by year-end (after all, parents became citizens in 6-mos). Now with N400 processing likely stretching past my GC expiration date, should I renew my GC? If so, how long might it generally take to receive a renewed one? And finally, can I travel outside the US without hassle pending GC renewal?

Any input is greatly appreciated! ~Sean

As long as you applied N400 six months before the GC expiration date, you are not required to renew your Green Card. But if you expect to travel after the expiration date, then you will need to renew.

As long as you applied N400 six months before the GC expiration date, you are not required to renew your Green Card. But if you expect to travel after the expiration date, then you will need to renew.

Exactly what he said. Except, i traveled without green card renewal. THey stamped my passport. When i was coming back, customs stopped me just to check in on my stamp and that was it. That took about maybe 5 minutes. No time at all. I dont' know if the rules have changed but i traveled in June, so i dont' think it has since then. So, no you do not need to renew your green card. Good luck to you.:cool:

very helpful

Thanks harveydonald and frustrated_alot

Though I don't have specific travel plans, I had been hoping to travel to Canada to meet a potential mate. Based on your advice, I'll wait to travel and hold off on renewing my GC.

Continued luck with your cases.

Btw, would I be considered out-of-status after my GC expiration.. even with the caveat N400 pending?

Thanks harveydonald and frustrated_alot

Though I don't have specific travel plans, I had been hoping to travel to Canada to meet a potential mate. Based on your advice, I'll wait to travel and hold off on renewing my GC.

Continued luck with your cases.

Btw, would I be considered out-of-status after my GC expiration.. even with the caveat N400 pending?

I dont' think traveling with hurt you in anyway. As long as you have the stamp in your passport. It says N400 pending. You are not considered out of status when n400 is pending. You are fine.:)