Need help missed NSEERS special registration but citizen of India

sailor_eda

Hi,

I've got a strange problem and I really need some good advise at this point.
I am a citizen of India but I was born in Bahrain. In Feb this year I sent my H1B for extension and I had not received anything till my attorney inquired about it. At that point, they sent a letter saying that I was born in Bahrain and that I should have registered with NSEERS. In Jan 2003 I had asked my attorney if I should do the special registration and he said that it was not necessary as I never was a citizen of Bahrain and that India was not on the list.
Now I have to submit some documentation that I wasn't subject to NSEERS special registration. What should I submit? Has anybody else been in a similar situation?

Any advise on this would be appreciated as I don't trust my attorney anymore.

Thanks

Sailor_EDA

Thank you very much for the information. I have one question? So did you have to get approval from USCIS before you reapplied for your H1B?

unitednations said:
I was in a very similar situation to you. I was born in Pakistan and moved to Canada when I was five years old. I did not register and received RFE. What your lawyer told you is correct. Please see the below threads. The second one is where I gave a sample of the affidavit I supplied to uscis. I was subsequently approved.

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=135804
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=136749

Maybe I'm getting confused but is the office that does H1B extension and the NSEERS special registration the same or different? I was under the impression that is was different so I wanted to know if you got your affidavit somehow approved by the dept that does the NSEERS special registration?

But I think you may have answered my question already. So am I correct in understanding that you sent the signed affidavit and the NSEERS rules (and no other new document from the NSEERS registration office) when you resent your h1b for nenewal?

Thanks for your responses, I really appreciate them.

Sailor_EDA

unitednations said:
Not sure I understand the question.

On my EAD, AP and H-1b renewal I received the RFE for registration. In all three cases I sent the affidavit and it got approved.

As an aside, my lawyer proactively sent the affidavit along with the NSEER rules on my h-1b renewal petition. They still sent the RFE and we re-sent the material and it got approved.

Thanks a Lot. You've been extremely helpful.

Sailor_EDA

unitednations said:
Now, I understand.

Nothing was sent to the NSEERS office.

I didn't have to send anything other than my affidavit to uscis.. My lawyer also sent in the NSEER rules. What is important is "nationality". Only nationals of certain countries were required to register. From the link I attached another linke which discusses what you are a national of. If you travel on an indian passport then you will be considered an indian national and not subject to nseers registration.

Could someone recommend one lawyer for me to apply H1-b visa

Hello friend,
I need to apply for H1-B visa. Could someone help me recommend one lawyer to me to process with H1-B visa?
I am at Texas Austin.
thanks