Need help! Made a mistaken in I-485. What to do now?

wy007

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I mistakenly ticked “No” to “Were you inspected by a U.S Immigration Officer” in my I-485 application because of a misunderstanding of this sentence - I didn't think that the regular checking at the airport is considered. The right answer should be "Yes", but I've sent the application a few days ago.

I'm thinking of writting a letter to USCIS to correct the error. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
no big deal

if they think you made a mistake, they will ask you to clarify it or they may simply correct it themselves.

Lawyer??

I dont understand, dont you guys use lawyers to file your immigration stuff?
All i had to do was simply sign a few places instructed by the lawyer and he prepared everything....

First thing check with your lawyer. Secondly, I don't think it should be a problem, as you must've submitted the copy of your I94 alongwith your application. Having a valid I94 automatically means that your documents were inspected by immigration officer.

In case it is a issue with INS they will certainly send a RFE. I guess you should just confirm it with your lawyer and chill out ;)

srikanthsiva said:
I dont understand, dont you guys use lawyers to file your immigration stuff?
All i had to do was simply sign a few places instructed by the lawyer and he prepared everything....

I can und that, but there is a lot of ppl who can't afford Att, or becz of some reason they file themselves, and this is not uncommon.

I am sure u haven't seen rough time in ur life. or may be 'born with silver spoon in mouth'. take a careful look around you, and see with open EYES there are ppl who even don't have food to eat for two times. consider ur self luky that what u can afford and what other can't.

In my opinion the main reason of this fourm to help others.

For wy007,

Don't worry and don't panic, that is very common mistake, and I believe 90% forms are subbmited which have similar glitch.

If u are not near to processing time and recently sent , u may go ahead and write simple letter ,with 485 receipt copy, attach old copy of 485 form and correct that in seprate form.
they won't reply u, but they would put ur doc to their file. at time of adjucant the officer will review and they do have great tolrance policy for common mistake. so don't worry about it.

Even if u don't correct it won't hurt u. they have ur all record u went through.

Just for ur peace in mind. and u think it make u more satisfy u.

whenever u sent/receive any doc to USCIC,
1. make copies
2. send them using USPS certified + return receipt
so u have proof that u did send.

Relax , don't worry, trust on God, practice ur faith, nothing will happen to u.

Wish u Good Luck

Well Prince....

PrinceofJungle said:
I can und that, but there is a lot of ppl who can't afford Att, or becz of some reason they file themselves, and this is not uncommon.

I am sure u haven't seen rough time in ur life. or may be 'born with silver spoon in mouth'. take a careful look around you, and see with open EYES there are ppl who even don't have food to eat for two times. consider ur self luky that what u can afford and what other can't.

In my opinion the main reason of this fourm to help others.

For wy007,

Don't worry and don't panic, that is very common mistake, and I believe 90% forms are subbmited which have similar glitch.

If u are not near to processing time and recently sent , u may go ahead and write simple letter ,with 485 receipt copy, attach old copy of 485 form and correct that in seprate form.
they won't reply u, but they would put ur doc to their file. at time of adjucant the officer will review and they do have great tolrance policy for common mistake. so don't worry about it.

Even if u don't correct it won't hurt u. they have ur all record u went through.

Just for ur peace in mind. and u think it make u more satisfy u.

whenever u sent/receive any doc to USCIC,
1. make copies
2. send them using USPS certified + return receipt
so u have proof that u did send.

Relax , don't worry, trust on God, practice ur faith, nothing will happen to u.

Wish u Good Luck

I always assumed that this forum consisted of 90% of skilled immigrant workers. If this assumption is correct, then spending $3500 to4 4000 for an immigration lawyer which should include all the filing fees should be affordable. There are lawyers who also have payment plans where you can pay as little as $100 a month. I really do not think that people who cannot even eat 2 meals a day would be in this forum. My comment was meant purely for the people in this forum.

A car can cost around $15,000 but that doesnt stop someone working in Mcdonalds from getting one. When it comes to immigration matters, it is best left to immigration lawyers unless you are confident of the rules and laws.

Just my 2 cents PauperOfJungle.

lawyers are for those difficult cases

Though lawyers are definitely recommended for people with imperfect immigration record or other non-routine matter, I think most of the cases are so straightforward, well-educated persons can handle them without problem.

Getting a lawyer for simple case only create an extra indirection between you and USCIS. More opportunity for errors. The money is not the most important thing but why spend it if you can do it yourself in a few hours.

srikanthsiva said:
I always assumed that this forum consisted of 90% of skilled immigrant workers. If this assumption is correct, then spending $3500 to4 4000 for an immigration lawyer which should include all the filing fees should be affordable. There are lawyers who also have payment plans where you can pay as little as $100 a month. I really do not think that people who cannot even eat 2 meals a day would be in this forum. My comment was meant purely for the people in this forum.

A car can cost around $15,000 but that doesnt stop someone working in Mcdonalds from getting one. When it comes to immigration matters, it is best left to immigration lawyers unless you are confident of the rules and laws.

Just my 2 cents PauperOfJungle.

I-485 mistake

WY007,

I have done exactly the same error as you did, in all 4 485's (self, wife, and kids). In fact I did not even think about this till I saw your post - I immediately checked mine and was shocked!

My RD of 485 is May 2004. The reason I answered No to this question is because I took the literal mening of the word "INSPECTED". I considered casual questions of where you work, how long you were gone etc at POE as general questions and not inspection and that was the reason for my no answer. I am thinking of calling the 800 number and perhaps talk to someone and ask about this. Otherwise I am going to leave it as it is and let us see what happens. Anyway, all ths supporting documentation is there proving legal entry etc.

Please keep posting your experience.

Thanks.

Shamal

wildthing: I agree. In fact, I won't make this mistake if I did some research online before, but I'm lazy.

Don't get off topic though, thank you!

wy007 said:
SHAMAL:

OK! Please also let me know if you have an answer. Thank you!

If you have ticked you have not inspected at POE they will call for the interview. In Interview they might raise the question. You can explain them it.

Keep all the supporting documents handy. Any way you might have sent your I-94, which is proof of your inspection. Also they will cross verify with your biographic information. Keep all the information handy.

I think such oversights can happen any one including attorney. You are not hiding any thing from USCIS just take it cool.

SHAMAL said:
WY007,

I have done exactly the same error as you did, in all 4 485's (self, wife, and kids). In fact I did not even think about this till I saw your post - I immediately checked mine and was shocked!

My RD of 485 is May 2004. The reason I answered No to this question is because I took the literal mening of the word "INSPECTED". I considered casual questions of where you work, how long you were gone etc at POE as general questions and not inspection and that was the reason for my no answer. I am thinking of calling the 800 number and perhaps talk to someone and ask about this. Otherwise I am going to leave it as it is and let us see what happens. Anyway, all ths supporting documentation is there proving legal entry etc.

Please keep posting your experience.

Thanks.

Shamal

Hello Shamal,
I read your post regarding questions at POE. When I came back from a trip from Sri Lanka they asked the same questions from me. When I filed my case I said NO for inspection at POE because no body took me into a seperate room and asked me any questions. So I also assumed that they are casual quiestions. I did not get any RFE for my I-485 for this issue. My I-485 approved on May 16th. got the passport stamed on June02nd and last friday got the biometrics notice. Since my case was approved with out any questions on this inspection at POE, I beleive routine questions is part of the entry process and nothing to panic about.
Hope this will help you to have a peace of mind.
Also, in general don't trust that lawyers will do a good job always. You need to check for errors in the forms. If you trust the paralegals in their offices, then your case will get delayed due to errors. I went through a lawyer because my case was EB2-NIW. But there were so many errors in the applications that I had to correct. So before signing any applications, it is good to read it carefully.
Hope this helps.

srikanthsiva said:
I always assumed that this forum consisted of 90% of ............

-------------------------

Dear srikanthsiva,

All I can say is 'God bless you'. may be sometime in life on right time u realize and understand that. btw I don't know my tomorrow Do YOU KNOW YOUR? :D

I hope the following may help u.

------------------------

A sage presented a prince with a set of three small dolls. The prince was not amused.

"Am I a girl that you give me dolls?" he asked.

"This is a gift for a future king," said the man. "If you look carefully, you'll see a hole in the ear of each doll."

"So?"

The sage handed him a piece of string.
"Pass it through each doll," he said.

Intrigued, the prince picked up the first doll and put the string into the ear.
It came out from the other ear.

"This is one type of person," said the man. "Whatever you tell him, comes out from the other ear. He doesn't retain anything."

The prince put the string into the second doll. It came out from the mouth.
"This is the second type of person," said the man. "Whatever you tell him, he tells everybody else."

The prince picked up the third doll and repeated the process. The string did not reappear from anywhere else.

"This is the third type of person," said the man. "Whatever you tell him is locked up within him. It never comes out."

"What is the best type of person?" asked the prince.

The man handed him a fourth doll, in answer.
When the prince put the string into the doll, it came out from the other ear.
"Do it again," said the sage. The prince repeated the process. This time the string came out from the mouth. When he put the string in a third time, it did not come out at all.

"This is the best type of person," said the sage. "To be trustworthy, a man must know when not to listen, when to remain silent and when to speak out."
-------------------------

My 2 cents here, looking at posting from pwdg it appears that the questions asked at POE does not amount to inspection and the answer 'NO' in the form is perfectly OK. I think the inspection has more literal meaning here, probably a physical inspection by INS and other authorities working on some pre intelligence about some suspected person. So if I was you, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks