Need help -- Entering US using AP

RSL

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

This is the first time I will be entering US using AP, Can you please fill in with details as

1. What documents will be asked in India ? ( Any experience from chennai guys will be appreciated, since I will be starting from Chennai ).

2. What are the documents that will be required when I enter US ? ( POE - SFO )

Thanks in advance.

-RSL

AP

I just came back to the US on AP. I did not have any problems. I just had to wait a few minutes longer until the IO verified my GC app. Remember to keep EAD, receipt of 485 and a letter from your employer that you are currently working in the US. Hope this helps.

-fb-

Thanks!!!

Thanks firebird,

Can you please also give me details about the documents that were asked in INDIA ?

-RSL

I have came from Chennai via Dubai, London using my AP.

Beleive me.. every person I came across in the respective airports Chennai, Dubai, London knows what AP means...

Just the AP alone is good enough to enter into the US. If you want u can have the EAD, 485 applicaton, employment letter and things like that..

Once u enter into the US, you will be asked to goto a seperate room. Dont panic... Its normal. Only those people who are more experienced can handle such cases and hence the special invitation to the room...

coming back on AP

I agree with the folks above. It is relatively straightforward to enter on an AP.
At Chennai Airport, they asked us to show proof of legal re-entry to US as our H-1/H-4 had expired and I showed AP and it was fine.

At SFO, we were asked to go for Secondary INS inspection when we showed our AP to the officer in the booth. So, we went to a room where two officers got our passports and AP alone and asked us to wait. After 10 minutes they stamped out APs and asked us to pick them up and leave. I was a little tense as our APs were about to expire in 4 days, but there was absolutely no problem. When we were sitting in the room, we saw another person (he could have been on H-1) being asked for company ID card. So, it is probably useful to carry as much proof as you want, say EAD, I-485/I-140 receipt notices, Employment letter, ID card/badge etc.
--gcnotez.