need Guidelines for applying PIO in Washington embassy thru mail

gana

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I am applying for PIO card for my newborn son at Washington Indian Embassy through mail, and after going thru some of the threads related to this topic and washington Indian Embassy website regarding applying PIO by mail i have few doubts which requires clarification urgently.Any help in this regard by the members of this forum will be very helpful to me and it will be highly appreciated in all the aspect.Thanks in advance for your valuable clarifications.

1 ) What are all the documents i need to send along with PIO application form to Washington Indian Embassy if i am applying by mail?

2 ) Whether i need to send my son USA ORIGINAL passport by mail to Washington Indian Embassy or photo copy is enough? will it be safe if i need to send the original USA passport by mail? and after processing PIO card for my son how embassy will return back my son USA original passport to me?

3 ) what are all the documents needs to be notarized while sending PIO application thru mail?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I Just received my sons PIO card from the Indian Embassy in DC. See my response to your questions below:
Hi,
I am applying for PIO card for my newborn son at Washington Indian Embassy through mail, and after going thru some of the threads related to this topic and washington Indian Embassy website regarding applying PIO by mail i have few doubts which requires clarification urgently.Any help in this regard by the members of this forum will be very helpful to me and it will be highly appreciated in all the aspect.Thanks in advance for your valuable clarifications.

1 ) What are all the documents i need to send along with PIO application form to Washington Indian Embassy if i am applying by mail?
- 2 sets of applications with my sons thumb prints
- 4 Photos + 2 Attached to the application.
- Copy of the first page of my and my wifes passport (Indian).
- Copy of a utility bill and my drivers license (as proof of US residence)
- My sons US passport in ORIGINAL.
- Copy of my sons birth certificate
- Fees for the PIO card.

2 ) Whether i need to send my son USA ORIGINAL passport by mail to Washington Indian Embassy or photo copy is enough? will it be safe if i need to send the original USA passport by mail? and after processing PIO card for my son how embassy will return back my son USA original passport to me?

- The Embassy returned back my sons passport along with the PIO card.
3 ) what are all the documents needs to be notarized while sending PIO application thru mail?

- I did not notarize any documents.

Thanks

Hi gc sc,

Do you have any idea about approximate timeline to get the PIO card from the time of filing PIO application and how to track the PIO status ?.Please share your thoughts on this...

Thanks

My applicaton packet reached the Embassy on 12 Feb (per Fedex tracking) and I got the PIO card back on the 14 of March. The embassy webpage says they r upgrading their system however they will try and stick to the processing times.
I tried calling the PIO number listed on the webpage after 15 working days but it always went to voice mail.
On 13 March, I happened to talk to a lady in the PIO dept who said that my application was still within the 15 working day window (Total BS) however the next day my sons PIO card was in my mailbox.
Hope this help.
All the best
Hi gc sc,

Do you have any idea about approximate timeline to get the PIO card from the time of filing PIO application and how to track the PIO status ?.Please share your thoughts on this...

Thanks