Need back up plan!

toro45

Registered Users (C)
I just recently got my H1 petition approved and I am an electrical engineer who works for a small engineering and management cosulting firm. As we all know about the ups and downs in the economy right now I just wanted to know what, other people who are foreign workers had as a back up plan, in case of job loss. I am currently preparing to take the LSAT and tha't for admission in the fall of 2004, what I am looking for is a more immediate back up.

Is there a way I can look for work without my boss knowing I am doing this. If he finds out I am looking for a job outside ,he might fire me.

Can I use the current H1 I have now to work with another company? or does the company have to re-apply for me. If I loose my job, do I have a grace period to look for another job.

going back to my home country is not an option for me. any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Originally posted by toro45
I just recently got my H1 petition approved and I am an electrical engineer who works for a small engineering and management cosulting firm. As we all know about the ups and downs in the economy right now I just wanted to know what, other people who are foreign workers had as a back up plan, in case of job loss. I am currently preparing to take the LSAT and tha't for admission in the fall of 2004, what I am looking for is a more immediate back up.

Is there a way I can look for work without my boss knowing I am doing this. If he finds out I am looking for a job outside ,he might fire me.

Can I use the current H1 I have now to work with another company? or does the company have to re-apply for me. If I loose my job, do I have a grace period to look for another job.

going back to my home country is not an option for me. any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks.

You can work for another job without letting your present employer know provided you do not use proprietary information or technical resources from one job in another. Check your employment contract. it might have a non-compete or similar clause.
If you want to work for another job, you will need a new H1 from that employer. If you lose your job, technically you do not have any grace period but INS has been condoning upto 1-2 months gap in employment on a case by case basis.

It will be impractical to hold two full time H1s at the same time, some times impossible too.

There is nothing wrong in trying to find the job with another employer, without your current employer knowing. Once H1 transfer has been applied for you can give notice or quit the present job and join the new employer awaiting H1 transfer approval.