Need Advice urgently

NV2001

Registered Users (C)
My AOS case has been approved recently.

I was laid off by the sponsoring company in last year and am currently having job thats identical to the LC job. The layoff happened 14 months after I filed my I-485 application.

A week before my case was approved, my attorney started an "AOS Portability" project for me.

He says if we did not inform INS about my job change now there is a risk . He says if we did not and INS finds out later about it, they may revoke my approval. I say if instead of stamping the pp I send letter to INS saying I changed job, they may immediately revoke the approval and he says yes thats a possibility.

My question is what should I do ?

What I think is that there is risk either way...at least with GC in pocket, I will be out of anxiety of pending status.

I request for opinions.
Thanks,
NV2001

Originally posted by NV2001
My AOS case has been approved recently.

I was laid off by the sponsoring company in last year and am currently having job thats identical to the LC job. The layoff happened 14 months after I filed my I-485 application.

A week before my case was approved, my attorney started an "AOS Portability" project for me.

He says if we did not inform INS about my job change now there is a risk . He says if we did not and INS finds out later about it, they may revoke my approval. I say if instead of stamping the pp I send letter to INS saying I changed job, they may immediately revoke the approval and he says yes thats a possibility.

My question is what should I do ?

What I think is that there is risk either way...at least with GC in pocket, I will be out of anxiety of pending status.

I request for opinions.
Thanks,
NV2001

I see no reason why you should inform INS about the job change if INS did not ask you about it. You are covered by AC21 portability and should have no problem. However at the time of stamping you shoukld carry evidence of job change and evidence that the new job is similar to the job listed in your LC.

Get a second opinion before you go for stamping.

don't ask don't tell

I feel there is no need to volunteer information at this time. Have all the documents ready and get the stamping done ASAP. When you go have the foll - new evl describing responsibilities etc, pay stubs, tax returns and the termination package from the sponsoring employer to prove it was not ur intent to leave. (do not show if you are not asked)

Keep this information at all times and provide it whenever requested. I think ur lawyer is trying to scare you and make some money in the process.

From what I have read in this forum and heard from my friends who are GC holders, the stamping experience has always been a pleasant one and the officers are always nice in person (with reference to stamping experience only)

Don't worry you are fine!

Don't listen to your attorney. He's full of crap! I have changed job after 180 days and my attorney did not inform INS but I ahve not receive my approval yet. Actually I wanted to inform INS but my attorney adviced no need to volunteer information to INS unless they ask for it. just take your paystubs and employment verification letter with you for stamping. Get rid of that attorney of yours asap ...
Consult with a good attorney like Rajiv Khanna if you have doubts.

get it stamped and you are fine.

no one asks for paystubs / employment letter at the time of stamping..go and get it done asap and tell your attorney not to pursue the matter further. there is no way that the INS can find out about your job change...relax...you have not broken any laws at all.

Thanks a lot

I appreciate your advice. I see that the opinions are unanimous and I think I am going to get my PP stamped and forget all about it.
I will cross that bridge of risk if and when I come across it.
I am comfortable knowing that I am not breaking any laws.
I have had enough of the waiting (22 months of AOS pending status ! ) and thats more than enough.

just get stamped..and forget about your lawyer. You are now a lawful permanent resident. Stamping process is purely to collect your old docs and issue the stamp.
keep us posted.
Good Luck.

Got the approval notices

by mail yesterday.
We will go for stamping Monday and I will post the experience here.
Thanks for all advice.
NV2001

Don't worry, go to stamping. Once it is approved, I do not anyone asking for parstubs or employment letters when you go for stamping. Just go ahead and get stamped..

Passport Stamped

Went to SF INS office early reaching at 6 AM....Was able to get tokens by 7 AM and was called by IIO at 8 AM.
The lady is a very nice person. She asked for AP, EADs and I-94.
Got one finger of each of us printed on a form which we also had to sign.
That is all, by 9:20 AM they called our names and returned the stamped passports. This experience is totally hassle free.

Congratulations

free bird atleast for an year you don't have to look for INS, hope you will get plastic card soon.

Goog luck

Now give your lawyer....:)

a piece of your mind..
congrats..from now on it is always sring and summer :)

yeah.. don't worry. your 2nd AOS is simply void. you'll probably receive a letter from INS saying your 2nd application is denied because you have another case approved. that's it.

congrats.

Thanks

Originally posted by vipsha
Congratulations

free bird atleast for an year you don't have to look for INS, hope you will get plastic card soon.

Goog luck

Good luck to you too for speedy approval of your wife's case. I have a feeling that one of these next few days that will happen.