Need advice on renewing/getting F-1 visa in Canada

ivengo

I have several questions:

I’m a Russian citizen. I’m currently a graduate student in the USA getting my Ph.D. in Computer Science. I came to the USA by a single entry F-1 visa which expired more than 4 years ago. I’m currently staying in the US on my I-20 which is valid till May 2008. I have a full graduate assistantship, which means that my department pays me a stipend and my tuition fee.

I want to visit my parents in Russia and come back to the US after that to continue my studies. I’ve heard that the American embassy in Moscow doesn’t give visas to many people these days. I want to try to go to Canada to get a new multiple entry F-1 visa there.

I have following questions:
1) Can I actually get a multiple entry F-1 visa from Canada or must I go to my home country which is Russia?
2) If my visa is rejected in Canada, can I come back to the US on my I-20.
3) How should I prove that I’m not a potential immigrant? I haven’t been to Russia for more than 4 years. I have a new car in the US etc. The only thing I have in Russia is my parents and my sister.

I would appreciate any advice.

Visa in Canada

Hi,

Yes you can apply for a visa in Canada. It is absolutely legal

If you get denied you CANNOT reenter the US even if you have a valid I-20

Nonimmigrant intent might be business affiliations with a russian firm, military obligations, future job offers in Russia etc. I know people who got visas in Montreal w/o the slightest problem.

Good luck

it was a very common thing to do before 911. People used to go to Mexico & Canada to do such things. & Yes, i know many people who had to fly back to their home countries to get a new F1.

4 yrs is WAY TOO LONG...i'll say your chances are less than 50%.

Good Luck