Need Advice on Passport Application

maddie

Registered Users (C)
Hi. I just got my citizenship interview letter. My interview date is 12/12, and I am traveling out of the country on 12/22. So just planning ahead here on how to get my passport in time for the travel.

Here are my options, and related questions, would appreciate any responses:

Option 1: Get an appointment with a regional office. I live in NJ, so I could go to NYC, Philly, or Norwalk.

- Question) How hard is it to get an appointment? Unfortunately I can't make an appointment now, I have to wait till 14 days before travel. But generally do people have problems getting an appointment? It will probably be busier in December with so many people traveling.

- Question) Do you normally get the passport back the same day, or does it take a few days?

Option 2: Go through a private rush passport company.

- Question) Any recommendations (or warnings!) on companies? Preferably any in the NY/NJ area so that I can dropoff/pickup myself? Although I think they mail the application to whichever regional office has appointments available that day, so maybe it doesn't matter where the office is.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!!!

I hope you meant to say that you're travelling 10 days after the OATH, not the interview. In that case, I would suggest you drive to a passport agency if you're close to it. The reason is because while expedited passport application is fast, but it doesn't guarantee you will get it by 10 days. The average is 11 or 12 days, and some people get it in 7 or 8 even, but I still wouldn't risk it. I applied last Thursday (Sept 27th) with expedited + overnight both ways, and yesterday I found out I'm supposed to receive it by this Saturday. That's 9 days, but I still wouldn't take the risk if I were you.

If you're far away from an agency, then go to one of the private rush companies. I have no experience with them, but I've heard good things. Maybe someone on the board who has used them can tell you more.

Interview/Oath on same day at Newark

I hope you meant to say that you're travelling 10 days after the OATH, not the interview. In that case, I would suggest you drive to a passport agency if you're close to it. The reason is because while expedited passport application is fast, but it doesn't guarantee you will get it by 10 days. The average is 11 or 12 days, and some people get it in 7 or 8 even, but I still wouldn't risk it. I applied last Thursday (Sept 27th) with expedited + overnight both ways, and yesterday I found out I'm supposed to receive it by this Saturday. That's 9 days, but I still wouldn't take the risk if I were you.

If you're far away from an agency, then go to one of the private rush companies. I have no experience with them, but I've heard good things. Maybe someone on the board who has used them can tell you more.

Douglas97 - thanks for the info. Interview and Oath are the same day at the Newark office.

I'm nearby three regional passport offices - NYC, Philly, and Norwalk, CT, so in that way I'm lucky. I guess I'll try to set up an appointment with one of them, and if I can't get one then I'll try a rush agency.

Would appreciate any info on rush agencies, as well as the regional office process.

Thanks.

Douglas97 - thanks for the info. Interview and Oath are the same day at the Newark office.

I'm nearby three regional passport offices - NYC, Philly, and Norwalk, CT, so in that way I'm lucky. I guess I'll try to set up an appointment with one of them, and if I can't get one then I'll try a rush agency.

Would appreciate any info on rush agencies, as well as the regional office process.

Thanks.

Philladelphia passport office will give you passport same day. Just be sure to take your tickets.

Schedule your appointment at 12:01AM exactly 14 days before. You should be able to get appointment.

I am not sure about NYC or norfolk offices. But I would imagine it would be something similar.

The passport page says for each of the 13 regional passport agencies:

"Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required. "

Guys, does the automated system on the web have a field for visa required to prevent the system rejecting anyone with more than 14 days for travel? I need a visa for travel in December. I will likely have an oath in November and to complicate matters I have asked for a name change as well. I will thus be running on very short time. Even though I have a dual citizenship passport the name change will invalidate my other passport and visa.

thanks for your insight.

Got mine in 8 days from applying. :)

Expedited + Express Mail Overnight both ways.

Last edited by a moderator: