Need admission with fulltime H4 to F1

babuacp

Hi all,

I have a question regarding change of status from h4 to f1.I would like to Know which university provides I-20 for converting from H4 to F1(with full time CPT)?

or can i attend as full time student with out changing the status?

Any suggestions please

Thanks,

babu

Last edited by a moderator:
CPT must be part of the curriculum and not just a way to work without a guest worker visa.

Normally, a one year period of enrollment is required for participation in CPT just as it does for OPT. Organizations (I would not classify them as educational institutions) who offer CPT immediately are frequently not accedited by a well recognized agency. While someone who is transferring from another institution might be able to justify a CPT; you as a new student should not qualify.

An F1 visa is for studying. If you have an F1, you may work on campus as much as 20 hours per week.

Babu,

I do not know much about H4 visa. But you can have a part time CPT bascially anytime while you are on F-1. It is preffered if it is a requirement by the school, but you can still do it. I did it. I think It's all about how you approach your international office. Some schools offer internship class, if you take that it's easier to convice Intl office at your school that this will help your career etc. There is no limit on part-time CPT, but it has to be related to your field of study.
As far as full-time CPT, I have not heard anywhere that you have to be enrolled for a year before applying, however I doubt a school will approve full time CPT right after you start. Also there is a limit of 270 days (or something in this neighborhood) for how long you can have full time CPT. Going over 270 days will go against your OPT.
After 1 year, actually 9 months, you can apply for a work authorization based on hardship, and from my experience many people get it if case is built right. This again limits you to 20 hours per week and full time during breaks.
Hope this was helpfull.