Need a credit report check with an ITIN # instead of a SNN (to rent a place)

kaseyk

I have an F1 visa but I'm taking a year off for research purposes. The University is aware of this. I'm only allowed to work part-time but I do write a lot of papers, so I was advised to get an ITIN number and pay my taxes.

I'm now moving to California to work on my research, everything is almost ready. But I was just told that my rental application was denied because the tenant can't run a credit check w/o a SSN. My immigration adviser (who's an idiot) from college told me that I could use the ITIN # to rent a place, but now it seems that I can't. I'm moving in less than a month and I don't have a place to live.

Some guy from school told me that the tenant can still run a credit check on me but I can't get ahold of him anywhere, the tenant is willing to hold the apartment for me for a little while, but w/o a credit check he can't rent me the apartment. Also, I don't know anybody in California. Please help. What should I do? I really want THAT apartment and I'm running out of time. :(

Possible solution:

Inform the renter of your situation and that you CAN pay for the apartment without a problem. Also, try and locate a "co-signer" to co-sign on the rental application for you... they will use this persons credit in leiu of yours. Most people won't co-sign for you unless they know you... for example, an aunt or cousin, mom, dad, wife, fiance, girlfriend, brother... etc... etc... anyone you know with a valid SSN and good credit history.

I ran into the same problem when I moved here. Where are you moving to?

Get a copy of your Canadian report. Also, the Canadian credit bureau is now owned by Experian. See if you can get him to check through your SIN. There is a way to do it.

I'm Spanish but my family lives in France, so there's no way they can send me any paperwork from Spain, and I don't have any family in the States. Also, the tenant says that it's not up to them, that they can't rent the place without a credit check/credit report. I'm moving to San Francisco. Also, since I chose to do my research independently, the university can't "sponsor" me, meaning they can't write a letter, or back me up or anything like that. Besides I'm not enrolled this year, I'm taking this one year off so I can work on my thesis.

With all of the recent credit card security issues we have been seeing on the news, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has released a brand new study about credit history. It found, among other things, that credit card activity is the solitary most important factor analyzed by credit reporting agencies when determining credit history