Necessary Document for the Interview

settar

Registered Users (C)
i just got my interview letter and these are list of douments i am asked to bring.

1)GC
2)evidence of selective service registration
3)passport

i will get the tax douments from IRS,but my question is do i need to get the transcripts for the past 5 years?do i order tax returns or i believe the other one was smt about account.and i can only see the returns betwwen 07-10,so it only makes 3 years.should i call IRS and ask for past 5 years?or the past 3 years would be enough for the interview.(i am not applying on the basis of marriage).

Thanks.

i just got my interview letter and these are list of douments i am asked to bring.

1)GC
3)passport

i will get the tax douments from IRS,but my question is do i need to get the transcripts for the past 5 years?do i order tax returns or i believe the other one was smt about account.and i can only see the returns betwwen 07-10,so it only makes 3 years.should i call IRS and ask for past 5 years?or the past 3 years would be enough for the interview.(i am not applying on the basis of marriage).

Thanks.

If you are not applying based on the 3 year rule (marriage to a USC), but rather based on the 5 year rule, then you are not required to provide tax transcripts at all, except if you had some extended foreign trips. If you did have such trips, better get tax transcripts for the last 5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are not applying based on the 3 year rule (marriage to a USC), but rather based on the 5 year rule, then you are not required to provide tax transcripts at all, except if you had some extended foreign trips. If you did have such trips, better get tax transcripts for the last 5 years.

When you mention extended foreign trips, are you referring to trips taken 5 years before applying for citizenship , or any trips taken since becoming permanent resident ?

When you mention extended foreign trips, are you referring to trips taken 5 years before applying for citizenship , or any trips taken since becoming permanent resident ?
I mean the trips taken within the 5 years prior to submitting the N-400, since only those trips are relevant to satisfying the continuous residency requirement for those 5 years.

1)GC
3)passport

Thanks.

Why are you worried about getting something that they didn't ask for?

you hear everyone saying smth different,i just wanna be prepared when i go to the interview,eventhough they didnt ask for the tax transcripts.my friend had his interview 6 months ago based on 5 year rule,he said he got his transcripts,yet he wasnt asked about them during the interview.again i just wanna be prepared when i go to that interview.

i mean the list seems too short!!!!!

you hear everyone saying smth different,i just wanna be prepared when i go to the interview,eventhough they didnt ask for the tax transcripts.my friend had his interview 6 months ago based on 5 year rule,he said he got his transcripts,yet he wasnt asked about them during the interview.again i just wanna be prepared when i go to that interview.

i mean the list seems too short!!!!!

If you really want to bring more documents than required, that is, of course, your choice. However, for 5 year rule (i.e. non-marriage based) cases, the tax transcripts only become relevant if there is some question regarding the applicant satisfying the continuous residency requirement, and such a question may only arise if there were some extended trips abroad during the 5 year period prior to filing N-400.

Wasting your time getting irrelevant documents is pointless at best and detrimental at worst.

The USCIS Officer will either completely ignore it as irrelevant OR become suspicious of you.