Natz oath today in SF

shadowfox

Registered Users (C)
Well, it's finally over. :) We drove to the Masonic Center early this morning. The oath letter stated to be there promptly at 9 AM. At 7:45 AM, we thought we were early. I'd say, though, that at least 500 soon-to-be-citizens beat us to it.

There's underground parking available, and they had an "event special" of $20 for the whole stay. The first three levels were full by the time we got there and had to park in the fourth level. We took an elevator up to the auditorium.

If you have family with you, they'll have to go up to the second floor to the balcony to watch. I was in "Section 7," which is to the left as you go in the gates to the auditorium. My spouse was seated almost right across from me on the balcony, so we could see each other and wave at each other. The odd-numbered sections are to the left, even to the right, in case you want to position your family/friends similarly.

We were seated pretty much in the order we came in. That's pretty important because they collect the oath letter and green card when you go in to the main floor of the auditorium. At the end of the ceremony, you remain seated and they distribute the naturalization certificates.

Nothing happened until about 9:30. There were a couple of videos, the presentation of colors, national anthem, then the oath of allegiance. There were a couple of speeches, another couple of videos, then some instructions regarding voter registration and applying for passports. Finally, the natz certificates were distributed, and that was that. :)

There'll be a throng of people right outside the auditorium because they placed the tables for passport apps and voter reg there. Very difficult to get in the elevators to go down to parking. I ended up going up the stairs (long flights!) to gather my spouse on the balcony, and got on the elevator from there.

Anyway, I'm just glad I won't have to deal with the USCIS again. And if I do, I'll be in the citizens line rather than immigration. By the way, there were 1415 new Americans today in San Francisco.

Five months! That is WOW fast. Ludicrious Fast! Congratulations!

Don't foget:
SSA visit!

Best Wishes,
-Jedi.Knight

Five months! That is WOW fast. Ludicrious Fast! Congratulations!

Don't foget:
SSA visit!

Best Wishes,
-Jedi.Knight

Jedi,
I dont remember if I did the "SSA" thingy after Green Card. Maybe I did(I remember something! but very vague since its like 6 years ago), I am not sure though.

Is this legally required (the SSA change) after 1.Green card 2. Citizenship?
If not for legal purposes, then for what practical purposes?

I can't remember the last time I was asked to show my SS card. I never got mine updated after I got my GC but I want to do it this time (I finished my oath about 3 weeks ago). Does anyone know what kind of documents we need for that ? I am currently waiting for my passport and so I have no proof of my citizenship with me. I guess I can visit SSA once I have my passport and use that as the proof.

-KM

You should do it sooner rather than later. I'm just reading what other people do, not based on anything I've done. From a legal perspective, citizenship makes you more entitled to SS retirement benefits. However, by the time we get to that point, there may be no SS left! But you should register you status change with them...just take your pp, driver's license and proof of address to your local SS office.

Went to SSA this morning and showed them the natz certificate. That was it. One reason I read for changing your status from PR to citizen with the SSA is for the situations when someone wants to verify your status (new job maybe) with them. If you claimed citizenship and then SSA comes back and says you're not, you'll have a bit more untangling to do than otherwise.

Not to look pessimistic but we can keep in mind that Social Security also pays survivor benefits - better have this taken care of than finding out late in the game that something was not OK.

Congrats

Wow that was really fast. Congratulations. I hope that my Oath notification letter arrives soon.

ancameni

shadowfox, Congratulations!

one question. Can you take your kids to the ceremony (US citizen by birth).You mentioned wife also present with you. I am also wondering if both husband/wife goes to same date cermony, can we take our kids?

thanks!

shadowfox, Congratulations!

one question. Can you take your kids to the ceremony (US citizen by birth).You mentioned wife also present with you. I am also wondering if both husband/wife goes to same date cermony, can we take our kids?

thanks!

There were a LOT of kids there, including babies who got pretty unhappy about the middle of the ceremony, but they were mostly up on the balcony. I did ride up the elevator with three kids and an adult, with the adult already an American citizen. The kids were probably less than 12, and they had to go in the main floor for the ceremony, while the adult headed up to the balcony.

You can take the kids up to the balcony and seat them before you go to the main floor, but you won't be allowed out once you're checked in. Maybe if you can get a friend to sit with them and just keep an eye on things? Also, families who are taking the oath together are not seated together. Some kind of new rule they have.

CONGRATULATION, shadowfox!!!

4 months is very fast. I hope my application will go as fast as yours. Do you mind telling us a bit about yourself?
- Do you have unusual name?
- Which country are you from?
- Do you apply based on employment GC?
- Do you always live in CA?
- Did you do your finger print sooner than your appointment date?
- I wonder if you live in SF itself? Somehow I feel like SF is also faster than East Bay cities?

Thank you very much!! :)

CONGRATULATION, shadowfox!!!

4 months is very fast. I hope my application will go as fast as yours. Do you mind telling us a bit about yourself?
- Do you have unusual name?

I'd say yes. I have a pretty weird combination of names (and I've never forgiven my parents for it), but in this case it was probably a blessing because the chances of hitting a similar name during name check is pretty low.

- Which country are you from?

I'm from South East Asia.

- Do you apply based on employment GC?

It's marriage-based.

- Do you always live in CA?

I lived in another state as a grad student, but I've lived in California ever since I got married and did all the USCIS filings through the SFDO or Laguna Niguel. That might have simplified things a bit.

- Did you do your finger print sooner than your appointment date?

No, I honestly didn't think of it. I went to the scheduled date.

- I wonder if you live in SF itself? Somehow I feel like SF is also faster than East Bay cities?

I live in the North Bay.

I've had good luck with my USCIS filings and had not had a hitch at all. I've trolled a lot of the immigration websites to see what the possible sources of glitches could be and tried to be proactive about it. I've never received an RFE or anything. Not that I'm complaining. :)

Am wishing all you guys the best of luck. I think SF DO processes applications much faster than some other DOs.

Thank you very much, shadowfox, for your answers.... :)

I'm from South East Asia too. Not many people from my country move to the US. I don't know if this matters though. I'm applying based on employment. I got it done through consular processing and now I'm wondering if they might have problem locating the files. I know I shouldn't think too much and should keep it positive, right? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's finally over. :) We drove to the Masonic Center early this morning...

Many thanks for the detailed post, shadowfox. Very useful information.

Were the tables where you drop off the filled passport forms?

Did it seem like parking was almost completely full even by 8AM? Do you think I would have any chance of getting parking there at 8:30-9:00?