Naturalization Marriage

razvi

I got married with an US citizen in 1996, and I received my permanent GC in 1998. I am eligible to apply for naturalization through marriage, however currently my spouse is intending to file for divorce. I would like to know if I am assuming any risks if I go ahead and apply for naturalization via marriage, under the current circumstances ( not having my spouse\'s cooperation in this matter). Or should I better wait 1 more year and apply for Naturalization via the PR status (eligiblity after 5 yrs as PR)? In the second situation, what would be the implications if at the time when I apply, I am already divorced? I really appreaciate anyone\'s advice with regard to my situation as described above. Thanks!

Happens to INS all the time

When someone applies for naturalization with less than 4 years 9 months permanent residence and their US citizen spouse divorces them before completing the naturalization process, the application will be denied for lack of sufficient residence at time of filing. this should not be a black mark on the applicant\'s record. He/She just has to file again. If the divorce procedings have already begun, you should probably cosider waiting for the completion of the 5 year\'s residence period before filing.