Naturalization interview

mmorala

Registered Users (C)
I applied for Naturalization several months ago. After getting fingerprinted, my husband got a job outside the States. I had to move with him and a friend of mine picked up a letter for me with the date of my interview. Now I have to go back to the States for the interview and I am worried since I no longer live at the address stated in the application and I do not want to lie, but what can I do?

Just for clarification: your primary residence is not in the United States anymore ? I assume your husband is U.S. citizen, isn't he? Otherwise you might be in kind of a pickle ... How long are you already outside the U.S. ?

Alex

AlexanderG said:
Just for clarification: your primary residence is not in the United States anymore ? I assume your husband is U.S. citizen, isn't he? Otherwise you might be in kind of a pickle ... How long are you already outside the U.S. ?

Alex
Hi Alex;
Yes my husband is a US citizen. I had to move just a few months before this notice came out and now I am kind of nervous about the interview.

AlexanderG said:

Alex
I have been 2 months otside the States

mmorala said:
I have been 2 months otside the States
if you plan to stay in oversea with your husband while your n400 is pending, make sure you keep all bank info in US, rent, acct.. etc etc.. and come back to US every 6 months ( i would come do every 5 months).

I know that you don't want to lie.
But
it's all about the place of residence. you have to maintain the US as your residence during the N-400 process.
If you say during the interview that your husband works out of the US and that's where you live you WILL NOT became a citizen.

If you can prove that it's a temporary assignment and will come back to the US afterwards by for example showing that you still own a house here or that it's a US employer who sent you there etc... you'll be OK.

Otherwise (unless your husband works for the US government or on a temp assignment) your application will be denied.

Be very careful. it doesn't matter that you come to the US every 5-6 months at all. It's only about the place of primary residence.

I would consult with a lawyer.

If you just go to the interview and tell them you live overseas they will deny the application without prejudice. that is tell you it is denied but you can reapply when you come back to live in the US (you'll still have to pay the application fees again and wait all this time again).

Thank for your message. The truth is I am going back for the interview in a two months and I still have a bank account there. My husband is working for a US company, but I was planning to just keep my former address as my main address. I don't really know what to do.

mmorala said:
Thank for your message. The truth is I am going back for the interview in a two months and I still have a bank account there. My husband is working for a US company, but I was planning to just keep my former address as my main address. I don't really know what to do.

Is your husband getting paid from US payroll?

If your husband is employed by a US company in US, and being sent to oversea for an assignment, you would be in a better situation than, your husband is empolyed and being paid under oversea payroll even thought the empolyer is a US company.

Actually he is being paid overseas, but we have kept accounts in the US and this job is fairly recent. He's only been working here for two months. We have made deposits to our US account and have to pay taxes in the US next year. I have not been told to bring any tax documents to the interview.

mmorala said:
Actually he is being paid overseas, but we have kept accounts in the US and this job is fairly recent. He's only been working here for two months. We have made deposits to our US account and have to pay taxes in the US next year. I have not been told to bring any tax documents to the interview.

did you file your case based on 5yrs gc or 3yrs married with USC?

i would suggest you to bring the joint tax documents. you can obtain a copy of your or your husband's tax transcript from IRS.

Mmorala:
1) What is ur ND and district?
2) I think as far as u can show all ur bank statements and letter from ur husband's employment and say that u plan to return back to US, u should be ok. May be experts on board can validate this?
3) When is ur interview?

mmorala said:
Maybe. Iam just nervous about the whole thing. The interview is in a month

One more thing - Until you become a US Citizen, you still have to maintain all the requirements for being a USPR. Good luck.