Naturalization Interview in Oakland CA

krazie

Registered Users (C)
Hello Folks,

I have a naturalization interview coming up in a couple of days. Because of various work related reasons, I don't have a whole lot of time to study for the test. Can somebody tell me what type of questions one gets asked at the interview - are the questions always from the list of questions posted on the USCIS site? Or does one have to go through and remember the Civics and History documents posted at http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/require.htm

In terms of background, I have advanced engineering degrees and speak, read and write english fluently. I know a decent amount of American history and civics but am by no means an expert on either topic.

Thanks in advance.

The questions are taken from the 100 questions you see on-line. Study those and you should be fine.

Hi Krazie,
Could u please share your exp. I have upcoimng interview
on the 28th. Thanks
As far as know, the standard 100 questions should be suffucient.

done with Interview today

Went smoothely. 10 questions all from the 100q list. I got all of them right. The interviewer asked me to read and write an english sentence : pretty straightforward stuff. The staff was very efficient and courteous.

My oath ceremony is scheduled for July 19.

Question: I was born in India and will be giving up my Indian Citizenship on the 19th. I need to travel to India within the next month. Is there an option besides getting an Indian Visa (how long does this take?) or a PIO card (which I believe takes more than a month).

Does one have to surrender the Indian Passport while applying for an Indian Visa or PIO card? If not, can one use it to enter India (instead of using the american passport)?

Congratulations Krazie.

Were the questions randomly picked from a computer
or the officer remember all 100q and randomly asked you?

I will go to Oakland CA for an interview soon. Did you drive
or take BART? Would you please share other experiences
like documents you prepared for etc.

Thanks,
Alameda

Congratulations!!!

Can you please share us your timeline?

Thanks

krazie said:
Went smoothely. 10 questions all from the 100q list. I got all of them right. The interviewer asked me to read and write an english sentence : pretty straightforward stuff. The staff was very efficient and courteous.

My oath ceremony is scheduled for July 19.

Question: I was born in India and will be giving up my Indian Citizenship on the 19th. I need to travel to India within the next month. Is there an option besides getting an Indian Visa (how long does this take?) or a PIO card (which I believe takes more than a month).

Does one have to surrender the Indian Passport while applying for an Indian Visa or PIO card? If not, can one use it to enter India (instead of using the american passport)?

krazie said:

There is NO other option. It's either a visa or a PIO card.

krazie said:

By law, you will cease to be an Indian citizen the moment you take the naturalization oath. You have to send your indian passport, visa form with photos, fees, and the US passport for the indian visa. Consulate will stamp the indian passport "Cancelled" and return it back with the US passport.

BTW, don't even try to use your indian passport (whether stamped "cancelled" or otherwise) to enter India. This can land you in trouble with the law.

Last edited by a moderator:
How were you informed of you oath date?

Hi Krazie,

Congrats. I have a question. How did you know your oath date so early, did the interview tell you after the interview? Is that the normal procedue at Oakland office?

Thanks,
Aha.

more details

Hi guys,

Cumulative reply to the questions

Mailed application : Feb 25, 2005 (approximate)
Priority Date : March 04, 2005
Finger Printing : April 28, 2005
Interview : July 13
Oath : scheduled for July 19

After the interview the official told me that everything was fine and he would give me the date for the oath and the documentation that goes with it, after consulting with a co-worker (presumably somebody else has to sign off on the results of the interview).

I did not take any documents besides my passport, gc and interview letter, with me.

The questions were pre-printed on a sheet of paper and the interviewer verbally asked me each question.

I drove to the interview site (Fed building) and parked on the street. I live nearby so knew the area well.