Naturalization Experience with Criminal Conviction

egobeta

Registered Users (C)
I want to share my naturalization experience with criminal record, hopefully it can help future applicants.

I had 2 convictions, one for receiving stolen goods and another for a DUI, both occurred outside of the 5 year statutory period. I submitted a certified copies of the court disposition and evidence of completion of sentence, which was court certified that I paid fine for receiving stolen goods & court certified that I completed of probation requirements for DUI (I never really understood what was meant by arrest records and did not submit any, even the police told me that uscis only needed court disposition, what relevance is the officers statement if u were already convicted).

I also did not register for selective service as I was unaware, I submitted the docs for that, I was also doing a name change.

On my interview date, I arrived early but noticed that candidates that arrived later were being called before me, eventually my name was called. My IO walked me to the room and as soon as I sat down, she said she wasn't going to make a decision today in a nasty tone, I was immediately depressed, but I decided to be pleasant thru the rest of the interview. My IO was quite tough on the name change section and asked a few questions to make sure I was still married to my wife, but to my surprise she did not ask much per my past criminal record, she just asked for the court disposition n completion records I submitted. She actually moved on to the next questions before I gave her the copies. The rest of the interview went really smooth. She later apologized if she was a little rude earlier and explained that the reason I couldn't be sworn in today was because the name change had to go through the federal courts and she was tough cos it had to be precise. Why didn't she just say that earlier and I would have cancelled the name change.

Anyway all is well that ends well. One week later my case was in-line for oath scheduling, one month later I was sworn in as a US citizen.

My journey took 10 years, but if you stay persistent and stop making stupid mistakes like receiving stolen goods or drinking and driving, then you can attain your goal of becoming a US citizen.

Congratz egobeta!

>>My journey took 10 years
I hope you meant H1B-->..-->N-400 approval or did you mean just your N-400!, I guess not, just making sure.

Thx

Egobeta

10 yrs. that is a long time! How much was your time from N-400 application sent and approval?

1) >>I submitted a certified copies of the court disposition and evidence of completion of sentence, which was court certified
2) >>but to my surprise she did not ask much per my past criminal record, she just asked for the court disposition n completion records I submitted

Given [1], why [2], so you gave her another copy of the same records? certified?
I think the one set of copies I had, I attached to the application. Not sure now, if I need to get another set?

Did you get yellow letter asking for more (or same) documents to sent/brought with you for interview?

Thx

Stinger,
My n-400 took amount 8 months from application to oath ceremony, which is standard for my state at the time. See answers to your questions;

1. Both the disposition and evidence were court certified. One of the was actually same document (one page) with disposition on top of page and fine paid below.

2. Yes, I gave her another set of certified copies, same as I had submitted with my application, I don't know why they ask considering that they also have the background check but those were the instructions to bring copies to the interview, I don't know if non-certified copies would have been ok, but i did not want any delays so I ordered 2 certified copies when applying. My guess is it may be ok if they have a certified copy intact and u explain why it is difficult to obtain. However, if it is easy to get, just pay the extra $ and bring it to the interview.

Yes, I got the generic yellow letter asking for same documents I had already submitted, those are sent automatically.