Naturalization/Citizenship and Personal Injury Lawsuit

leon_nguyen

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I'll soon apply for naturalization to become US citizen. Recently, I was involved in a car accident where the other driver decided to hire an attorney to help her filing for her side's personal injury resulted from the accident. I'm worried that they will press the case hard and might bring up a lawsuit against me and my insurance company. In that worst scenario, will this lawsuit affect my ability to become US Citizen? Will I have to declare anything about it in N-400 paperwork?

Any info. to calm me down now would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

P.S. I didn't receive any tickets/citations from the police at the scene of the accident. They just simply made a collision report and asked us both to exchange our insurance info. To be honest, I just think that this person wants to claim for the money that can be used to pay for her bills and such.

This shouldn’t be an issue for your N400 application, especially you didn't receive any ticket/citation etc.. On the personal side, your insurance will deal with it so just relax on the citizenship matter

Hi everyone,

I'll soon apply for naturalization to become US citizen. Recently, I was involved in a car accident where the other driver decided to hire an attorney to help her filing for her side's personal injury resulted from the accident. I'm worried that they will press the case hard and might bring up a lawsuit against me and my insurance company. In that worst scenario, will this lawsuit affect my ability to become US Citizen? Will I have to declare anything about it in N-400 paperwork?

thanks,

P.S. I didn't receive any tickets/citations from the police at the scene of the accident. They just simply made a collision report and asked us both to exchange our insurance info. To be honest, I just think that this person wants to claim for the money that can be used to pay for her bills and such.

All of these are civil lawsuits issue which have nothing to do with eligibility for citizenship. Even if you lose thsi civil lawsuits, you can treat it as if it never happen for the citizenship purpose. The only question
about owing money on N400 is how much overdue taxes you owe to federal state and local township tax agencies.

Of course, if you do lose your civil lawsuits, you must act according to law and court orders to avoid crminal charge.

Hi everyone,

thanks,

Everyone is correct. This is a civil lawsuit and it has no effect on your citizenship eligibility.

Persoanl Injury Law suit Settled by Insurance companies , Does need to reported to on N400?

Everyone is correct. This is a civil lawsuit and it has no effect on your citizenship eligibility.

If some one has very old personal injusry law suite against her/him for the car accident in which she/he never received a ticket or citation ( she/he was delivered court notice about the case and also has settlement copy from court). Case was settled by insurance companies.

Does this court case is regarded as ciitation for the N-400 purpose?

If some one has very old personal injusry law suite against her/him for the car accident in which she/he never received a ticket or citation ( she/he was delivered court notice about the case and also has settlement copy from court). Case was settled by insurance companies.

No.

As baikal3 said, it is not regarded as a citation. There is no need to mention it on your N-400 or at the interview.