Naturalization Certificate

gc-despo

Registered Users (C)
Hi all:

My wife and I had applied for expedited passport on Nov 20, and yesterday we received the passports by express mail. Problem was that we did not get back the original naturalization certificates that we had sent aong with the passport application.

1) Is this normal that State Dept keeps the naturalization certificate?

2) If not, how to get them back?

The State dept mails the passport and natz certificate separate. You will get it back no worries.

"If you applied for both a U.S. Passport Book and a U.S. Passport Card on the same application, the newly issued documents, as well as your returned citizenship evidence, may be mailed to you in separate packages at different times. Therefore, it is possible to receive 3 separate mailings; one with your returned citizenship evidence, one with your newly issued passport book, and one with your newly issued passport card. It is currently being processed."

Dont worry. You will get everything in 3 seperate mailings. I did the same thing applied for passport using expedite service using overnight delivery back.

Day 1: I got my newly issued US Passport

Day 2: i got my Naturalization certificate in US Priority Mail Envelope.

Day 3: I got my Passport Card.

For safety and security reasons, they sent everything back in 3 seperate envelopes.

You'll get all of them back soon. Give it a day or more, especially we had thanksgiving right.

All:

We got our naturalization certificates back today.

Timeline:

N-400 applied: 07/31/2009
Oath completed: 11/19/2009

Passport applied at post office: 11/20/2009
Checks cashed: 11/24/2009
Passports recieved: 11/28/2009

Since we can't laminate the Nat Cert and it's illegal to make a photo copy or photograph it. What is the best way to preserve it.

I wanted to make a copy before sending it for passport but not if it's illegal.

Thanks SJAug20

I guess I can make a photo copy.

Also, after reading this web site I realised the signature should be the full name. But I already signed it with my usual signature(which does not spell the full name). Does this invalidates the Nat Cert?

Most likely it won't be an issue. Is this the same way you signed the photos? The usual advice is that the signature on the photo should match the signature on the document. Anyway, it most likely won't be an issue. I'm sure you have some other documents to prove that this is your usual signature if it ever becomes an issue.

By the way you could also scan it into a PDF or JPEG. That way you can always print it whenever you need a photocopy, or depending on where you put it, retrieve it from anywhere in the Internet ;)