Naturalization Certificate

dineshgk

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I had my Oath Ceremony today. Received the Naturalization Certificate.

I went to the SSN Office and had my records updated. They said i need not have new Card since my existing card was good and had no special instructions on it such as "Not Valid for Work" etc. So My records were updated.

Do i need to do anything else.... Like update Driving License etc? Please let me know.

Also, i am concerned about the Naturalization Certificate.... It clearly mentions that we should not make a copy of it. How do we take a backup of this?

Also, at work place before i had to submit a copy of my Green Card..... So i am not sure how should i submit a proof of my naturalization if i cannot make a copy of it. Should i be carrying the Original everywhere?

Thanks,

For your personal back-up, I heard it was o.k.
For I-9 purpose, the certification of naturalization was removed from the list of document you can use.
If you didn't change your name, it should be o.k.
For DMV, you don't have to change your driver license unless you have changed your name through naturalization.
If you changed your name through naturalization, you should visit DMV to replace your driver license, and they may ask to "see" your certificate of naturalization.
Then you have to receive new SSN with new name.
After receiving new SSN card with new name, you can use both copy of new SSN card AND new driver license to update I-9 with your employer.

Three things come to my mind:

1. Apply for US passport.
2. I actually went to DMV to update my status from GC to citizen (Texas). This will aid me in my renewals with the new ID laws in Texas.
3. Maybe update records with financial institutions.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I think you can make copies for personal backup.
2. Wait until you get your passport and update your employer with the passport. This step is not mandatory, as far as I know, but I did it myself.

In my case I will wait to update the DMV until they request it.

Hello,

I had my Oath Ceremony today. Received the Naturalization Certificate.

I went to the SSN Office and had my records updated. They said i need not have new Card since my existing card was good and had no special instructions on it such as "Not Valid for Work" etc. So My records were updated.

Do i need to do anything else.... Like update Driving License etc? Please let me know.

Also, i am concerned about the Naturalization Certificate.... It clearly mentions that we should not make a copy of it. How do we take a backup of this?

Also, at work place before i had to submit a copy of my Green Card..... So i am not sure how should i submit a proof of my naturalization if i cannot make a copy of it. Should i be carrying the Original everywhere?

Thanks,

Do'nt Forget to register for vote. Most probably it can be done via mail or going to local county office.

vik_b

1. I think you can make copies for personal backup.
2. Wait until you get your passport and update your employer with the passport. This step is not mandatory, as far as I know, but I did it myself.

In my case I will wait to update the DMV until they request it.

In my case - I just provided proof of my status in the US ( e.g. passport) at the time of my DL's renewal - which was last week. In NY you have to provide proof of status each time due to the Real ID Act. And this seemed the right thing to do as they really is no rush to update from GC-holder to Citizen. The lady told me that only those who have a temporary status on the DL - which is annotated on the NY DL - should come in to update their status as soon as they either extend their temporary status or get permanent status.

Bottom line, you are okay with the DMV until it is time for you to renew the DLs - unless you have a special notation on your DL - then you should go in and get an unrestricted DL.

Hi LolaLi,

Thanks for your input. Yes, I got my DL in California several years ago, and at the time there was no concept of Real ID or anything, they just gave me the license with my social security and temporary work visa. I think my wife got hers even without a social security number, probably the tax id. We have renewed once by mail, the next renewal next year will be in person, perhaps that will be the opportunity for them to ask us again about status in the US. I never thought about the DL and even more, I never thought until today that they might not even have my wife's social security number. As I said, let's see what happens next year when we renew in person.