Naturalization Certificate and Passport

seroy

Registered Users (C)
For applying for a US passport after naturalization - do we really need to mail the original naturalization certificate with the passport application? Can we not send a notarized/certified photocopy?
How can we trust that the original naturalization certificate will not be lost by the passport processing folks?

Yes you have to send originals. No you can not send a copy.

You have to just hope they don't lose it (I don't think they ever do).

Schedule a trip out of the country less than a week before you leave and get your passport processed in a day or two.

To apply for passport in person do we NEED to have an actual international travel ticket OR can we just get an itinerary from a travel agent (without paid ticket)? That way we can get passport early (in person) even without actually having plans for traveling.

To apply for passport in person do we NEED to have an actual international travel ticket OR can we just get an itinerary from a travel agent (without paid ticket)? That way we can get passport early (in person) even without actually having plans for traveling.
Well, you sign a federal document saying something to the effect that everything on the document is the truth - why would you lie about something like that.

The Passport process demands original documents from *everyone* who applies, not just the newly naturalized. It is designed to not loose these documents. And, they are dealing with "real Americans" not just the normal USCIS clientele. I would expect that they do a good job at not loosing stuff.

Hi seroy,

Relax, I don't think you should worry that much about sending the certificate, things are most likely going to turn alright. I don't recall anyone complaining about a lost certificate. Why go to the trouble of trying to deceive and abuse the system. I would think that obtaining a passport in a hurry should be left for people who are honestly in a hurry, abuse the system would just screw other people for your own selfish motives (I mean it as anyone who does this, not you in particular).

My 2 cents

I have a question along these lines. I have applied for the passport expedited and it is 3 weeks today (since it reached them) and it is yet to show up in their system. I have tickets to travel in 5.5 weeks. My question is when the time gets closer to the date and if the passport does not show up, can I apply with the copy of the nat. cert at the passport agency?

I have a question along these lines. I have applied for the passport expedited and it is 3 weeks today (since it reached them) and it is yet to show up in their system. I have tickets to travel in 5.5 weeks. My question is when the time gets closer to the date and if the passport does not show up, can I apply with the copy of the nat. cert at the passport agency?

When you come within 14 days of traveling and you still haven't heard from them, call National Passport Information Center to tell them about your situation. They will send you to your nearest Passport Agency to pick it up within 2-3 days. But I think you'll get your passport before the 5.5 weeks. Here is there number if you need it. 1-877-487-2778

Its not uncommon for your expedited passport to arrive before you case shows up in the online system. Happened to me too...

You can phone that number and ask what's going on. In my experience, they are *much* nicer and *much* more useful than anything at the USCIS.

I did ask them, but they do not have a clue, as they can only help after the info is put into the system and they cannot help accelerate that part.