naturalization ceremonies for applicants seeking citizenship in 2009

next step after the oath...

After the oath.. Is it essential to update the social security office w/ the new citizenship status?, or the update gets done as a routine process within the system ?

I live in KC. Interviewed in KC in April and just got OL for Wichita, Kansas. That's 3 hours away and I can't take a day off. So I am writing them a letter to request it rescheduled later to a KC location. Is that normal for them to send you 3 hours away for the ceremony? That sounds a bit crazy to me.

I live in KC. Interviewed in KC in April and just got OL for Wichita, Kansas. That's 3 hours away and I can't take a day off. So I am writing them a letter to request it rescheduled later to a KC location. Is that normal for them to send you 3 hours away for the ceremony? That sounds a bit crazy to me.

Wish you good luck.. Now you know there is a new date 6/12, for oath ceremony in KC, Missouri

Last edited by a moderator:

I live in Olathe and completed my interview on April 9th. My 2 friends live in Olathe and Overland park completed interview on April 7th and in first week of May. We all got the Oath in Wichita on 5/29. One of my friend was debating to reshedule then finally decided to go for the Oath. Based on the following reasons she didn't reschedule.

1. May end up in no show.

2. KC, KS oath is limited to 60 people. Rescheduled date may be in one month or one year depending on your luck.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
After the Oath

I am scheduled to have my oath on 6/12/2009, after the oath... Is it essential to update the social security record w/ the new citizenship status? Or the update gets done as a routine process (automatically) within the system? Also, would I need to update my Driver’s license record as well to reflect the citizenship’s information... if so... what are proper steps and procedures...Thank you

I am scheduled to have my oath on 6/12/2009, after the oath... Is it essential to update the social security record w/ the new citizenship status? Or the update gets done as a routine process (automatically) within the system? Also, would I need to update my Driver’s license record as well to reflect the citizenship’s information... if so... what are proper steps and procedures...Thank you

I have some interesting replies for my inquiry
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=298201

I am summing up the suggested check list (with no order)
1. Update your status record with SSA, to be done in person
2. Update your status record with DMV, to be done in person
3. Register to vote
4. Apply for US passport (book)
5. Apply for US passport card (optional)
6. Update your employment status, file I-9 documentation with HR (optional)

Thanks

what does it mean to bring the re-entry permit or refugee travel document to the oath ceremony? what is that? i don't know if we have one?

what does it mean to bring the re-entry permit or refugee travel document to the oath ceremony? what is that? i don't know if we have one?

If you don’t have any re-entry permit or refugee travel documents, then you are not required to present them... Thanks

Based on the above discussions, I am summing up the suggested checks list (with no order)
• Update your status record with SSA, your naturalization certificate or passport will be needed, to be done in person. Some responders viewed this as optional.
• Update your status record with DMV, your naturalization certificate or passport will be needed, to be done in person. Some responders viewed this as optional.
• Register to vote, many debated this... After all, it a personal choice to vote or not... however it is highly encouraged.
• Apply for US passport (book), your naturalization certificate will be needed. Based on the views, it is almost a requirement for your citizenship proof, or at least an uncomplicated method to proof.
• Apply for US passport card (optional, your naturalization certificate will be needed.
• Update your employment status, file I-9 documentation with HR (optional), a debatable option, only your passport can be used.

Here is another update, based on the above discussions, I am summing up the suggested checklist (with no order)

• Verify your information in your naturalization certificate, check for any spelling errors or missing data.
• Sign your naturalization certificate.
• Update your status record with SSA, your naturalization certificate or passport will be needed, to be done in person. Some responders viewed this as optional.

• Update your status record with DMV, your naturalization certificate or passport will be needed, to be done in person. Some responders viewed this as optional.

• Register to vote, many debated this... After all, it a personal choice to vote or not... however it is highly encouraged.

• Apply for US passport (book), your original naturalization certificate will be needed. Based on the views, it is almost a requirement for your citizenship proof, or at least an uncomplicated method to proof. It is required for traveling

• Apply for US passport card (optional), your naturalization certificate will be needed.

• Update your employment status, file I-9 documentation with HR (optional), a debatable option, only your passport can be used.

Another thing IO mentioned during the Oath ceremony is "it is illegal to carry a copy of Naturalization certificate".

Another thing IO mentioned during the Oath ceremony is "it is illegal to carry a copy of Naturalization certificate".

I think this may have been lost in translation. If you lose your Naturalization or Citizenship certificate, and submit form N-565, then you are required to attach a copy if you have one.

See http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/N-565.pdf Part 2 Section 2a.

The USCIS cannot make it illegal to copy your NC and then expect you to submit a copy if you have one.

Also, see http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html
Granted that this website is not official, but that is another debate.

I think this may have been lost in translation. If you lose your Naturalization or Citizenship certificate, and submit form N-565, then you are required to attach a copy if you have one.

See http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/N-565.pdf Part 2 Section 2a.

The USCIS cannot make it illegal to copy your NC and then expect you to submit a copy if you have one.

Also, see http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html
Granted that this website is not official, but that is another debate.

I guess, the IO might have said that it is illegal to copy the naturalization certificate without legal authority. The naturalization certificate will have a stamp saying this.

(As a naturalization certificate holder, one can make photocopies for themselves legally.)

The IO clearly announced that it is illegal to copy and reduce the size and carry it on wallet. You will be arrested for doing this. You can make copy to send it to only USCIS (like sponsoring parents, etc...).

I guess, the IO might have said that it is illegal to copy the naturalization certificate without legal authority. The naturalization certificate will have a stamp saying this.

(As a naturalization certificate holder, one can make photocopies for themselves legally.)

Does any1 have any info for Miami on current ceremony dates? I wasn't able to find anything but dates for 2008 :(