National Visa Center

ZKHAN

Registered Users (C)
Hi this question is for my brother he is a permanent resident. He had filed I130 for his wife. I130 was approved quota number is available and he has already mailed the packet that was sent to him from National Visa Center. He wants to know what kind of background checks will they do they on his wife? Will they do those checks before sending the file to Islamabad embassy, or they will do those checks after the interview?? Any information about the time it takes to do these checks would be very helpful.
Could somebody tell me what happens after NVC tells you that tthe file is complete.

Thanks

^Hi ZKHAN, I am from Pakistan as well. Can you please provide more details on your brother's case? Did he file I-130 or I-129F (K-3)?

Basically what will happen is, NVC will correspond with the benificiary's (Your brother's wife)choice of agent. Once they get all the required documentation from your brother (I-864, DS-230 etc) they will review the documents and if everything is correct, they will then schedule an interview for your brother's wife at Islamabad consulate. The background check will take place (if any, I hope not) after the interview is done. It is usually called administrative processing which could take up to 60 days to complete (according to travel.state.gov) but you never know. So lets hope for the best and keep us updated.

thank you for your reply. My brother had filed I130. Can you tell me how long does it take the national visa center to transfer the file to Islamabad?? After Islamabad has received the file you get the interview notice right away, or there is a backlog at the embassy too?? How much in advance do you get the interview notice because the medical needs to be done too.

^Hi ZKHAN, I am from Pakistan as well. Can you please provide more details on your brother's case? Did he file I-130 or I-129F (K-3)?

Basically what will happen is, NVC will correspond with the benificiary's (Your brother's wife)choice of agent. Once they get all the required documentation from your brother (I-864, DS-230 etc) they will review the documents and if everything is correct, they will then schedule an interview for your brother's wife at Islamabad consulate. The background check will take place (if any, I hope not) after the interview is done. It is usually called administrative processing which could take up to 60 days to complete (according to travel.state.gov) but you never know. So lets hope for the best and keep us updated.

thank you for your reply. My brother had filed I130. Can you tell me how long does it take the national visa center to transfer the file to Islamabad?? After Islamabad has received the file you get the interview notice right away, or there is a backlog at the embassy too?? How much in advance do you get the interview notice because the medical needs to be done too.

NVC handles everything now. It use to be the case that the file was transfered to the consulate and they use to drive it further. Now, NVC takecares of that and when the file is complete (including medical) they correspond with consulate to schedule the interview date. Once the interview date is scheduled, the fils gets sent to Islamabad.

As far as teh backlog, I am not sure what is the current workload. I would say just call the consulate and ask them.

The message on the NVC phone line was updated that the file is complete. So what is the next step? Medical??
What kind of a time frame are we looking at before the interview??

NVC handles everything now. It use to be the case that the file was transfered to the consulate and they use to drive it further. Now, NVC takecares of that and when the file is complete (including medical) they correspond with consulate to schedule the interview date. Once the interview date is scheduled, the fils gets sent to Islamabad.

As far as teh backlog, I am not sure what is the current workload. I would say just call the consulate and ask them.

The message on the NVC phone line was updated that the file is complete. So what is the next step? Medical??
What kind of a time frame are we looking at before the interview??

The process is after the file is completed, they will schedule an inteview date with the embassy/conuslate. NVC will send the applicant and the agent an interview packete. There's instructions in the packet to get medical exams before the interview. You will be instructed to do medical exams at certain place. You can not just go get medical exam on your own.