National Passport & Naturalization

Asylee_Spouse

Registered Users (C)
Question:
during interview for citizenship application, nation passport is one of the requirements, what should Asylee based GC holders do since most of them don't have a passport?
thank you!

Asylee_Spouse said:
Question:
during interview for citizenship application, nation passport is one of the requirements, what should Asylee based GC holders do since most of them don't have a passport?
thank you!

IJ will see AS6 on your GC and he/she's not gonna give you a hard time about this as far as you tell him you can't one.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

Hi there!!!!
I had my citizenship interview last month (Dec 2005), passed ,now I am waiting for my oath ceremony which is next week!!!
Regarding your national passport:
not a big deal if you do not have one.They absolutely undestand that refugees/asylees might not have one. Really nothing to worry about. However, some things to consider:
- if you enter US on your national passport, they would like to see physical document , because even the interview letter literaly says to bring passport/travel document you used in connection with any entry into the US.They have a copy (or information that was given by you before you came to the US like passport #, date issued, place issued, etc. , of course if you had your national passport at that time,) of it in your A-file.Now if you tell them you lost it, they might have you sign a form declaring that you lost it.
- if you ever applied for RTD or any other travel document (reentry permit), they want to see them, specially if you traveled outside US , since they want to verify dates of your travel. But keep in mind , that passport/travel document is not the only source of verifying travel dates. USCIS have all travel dates in their system because since 2002 airlines are requiered by LAW of electronically submitting passengers manifest with information that MUST include, your name , date of birth, alien number (if any), place of birth, passport/travel document number and some other 26 different kind of information before departure/arrival from/to US for all non-immigrants (visitors) but also for US citizens and permanent residents , and these data is being shared with ALL law enforcement agencies incl. Customs and Immigration Services.
So all in all, if your national passport is not available at the time of interview, there is nothing you should worry about.You can prove your identity by showing them your DL, your GC or any similar picture ID recognized by Government, and for proving travel dates (since one purpose of passport is traveling ), they have all information on file (see above), they just compare dates in their system to what you put down on your N-400 and see if any discrepancies.
Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions!!

Antonio2 can you detail what other document you had to show during your interview.

antonio2 said:
Hi there!!!!
I had my citizenship interview last month (Dec 2005), passed ,now I am waiting for my oath ceremony which is next week!!!
Regarding your national passport:
not a big deal if you do not have one.They absolutely undestand that refugees/asylees might not have one. Really nothing to worry about. However, some things to consider:
- if you enter US on your national passport, they would like to see physical document , because even the interview letter literaly says to bring passport/travel document you used in connection with any entry into the US.They have a copy (or information that was given by you before you came to the US like passport #, date issued, place issued, etc. , of course if you had your national passport at that time,) of it in your A-file.Now if you tell them you lost it, they might have you sign a form declaring that you lost it.
- if you ever applied for RTD or any other travel document (reentry permit), they want to see them, specially if you traveled outside US , since they want to verify dates of your travel. But keep in mind , that passport/travel document is not the only source of verifying travel dates. USCIS have all travel dates in their system because since 2002 airlines are requiered by LAW of electronically submitting passengers manifest with information that MUST include, your name , date of birth, alien number (if any), place of birth, passport/travel document number and some other 26 different kind of information before departure/arrival from/to US for all non-immigrants (visitors) but also for US citizens and permanent residents , and these data is being shared with ALL law enforcement agencies incl. Customs and Immigration Services.
So all in all, if your national passport is not available at the time of interview, there is nothing you should worry about.You can prove your identity by showing them your DL, your GC or any similar picture ID recognized by Government, and for proving travel dates (since one purpose of passport is traveling ), they have all information on file (see above), they just compare dates in their system to what you put down on your N-400 and see if any discrepancies.
Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions!!