Names on Passport and Visa Swapped !!

sappenn

Hi,
I am planning to call my parents to US in May.
However, there is an issue regarding my mothers name in her passport and the tourist visa.

In my mothers passport,

SURNAME - BLANK
GIVEN NAME - XXX

whereas in her Visa, it says

GIVEN NAME - FNU
SURNAME - XXX

Would this be an issue at the customs ?
Are any changes required to the passport.

I did some minimal research and some ppl say that when a particular name in a passport is without a surname, the names in the VISA is in the above format i.e. they swap it and put FNU in the given name.

Any help will be mightily appreciated.

First name is unique to a person, whereas surname is the family name, usually husband's or fathers name. This is the format followed by US.

In many cases with only one word names as is common in India (for example "Mayavati") US visas record this name as surname and first name is FNU. Their computer system tracks names by last names and does not allow last name to be blank or unknown. In such cases they use the one word name as surname and first name gets recorded as unknown (FNU).

There should be no issues at customs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot, that's the reason I guess I heard some say that it is a standard operating procedure when the US embassy guys encounter such scenarios.

Thanks again!!

Trouble with my passport, urgent help and suggestions.

I am originally from Nigeria got married to an Equatorial Guinea guy and now I have two passport, one for each of the country, I school in Ukraine and have there visa in my Nigerian passport, but now I want to travel to the US and that visa is in my E/guinea passport, so now, do I leave Ukraine with the Nigerian passport and then switch to the E/Guinean passport before I board? And what happens when I get to the states and am asked for my exit visa stamp on my E/guinea passport?

UK visa application : Surname blank in passport

In my passport I do not have the Surname mentioned and my complete name is mentioned under Given name. How should I proceed with the application. Will it create any problems in getting the visa??

In my passport I do not have the Surname mentioned and my complete name is mentioned under Given name. How should I proceed with the application. Will it create any problems in getting the visa??

Sorry for the late reply. but i dont think so that there will be problem. As in my mother's passport case, the VISA authorities will just use the Given Name as the Surname and the First name will be FNUon your Visa. As mentioned earlier, this will not cause any issue.

This is not a problem, do not worry about these issues are very common and won the effect the decision to grant a visa.. provided all other things are in place.

Hello! I need some advice. I recently applied online the UK Tourist Visas for my parents, and after paying and submitting the online application, we noticed that the given name and surname of my father were interchanged. Kindly advise how to proceed. Do I need to cancel the first application and request for refund and then create a new one? Or is there any way to advise the Embassy that this was an honest mistake and request them to correct my father's name in their system so the correct name will be printed in the visa? Appreciate any urgent help. Their schedule for biometrics is this coming Monday already. Thanks a lot!